Sign in to follow this  

lower cam chain tensioner spring

I did the shims on my sons KLX300 and before stripping down I noticed how tight the chain was after taking out the ACCT. The lower cam chain tensioner spring really has some weight on it, so much so that had to remove it to get the cams back into position. Before I put the ACCT back in I felt the chain and it was really tight, is this normal.

Berniedog

There is some tension on the chain from the lower spring. If you want to double check it, make sure you can count the sacred 32 pins above the head. You can also remove, repositition the tension rod, and reinstall the cam chain tensioner (ACCT) to be sure.

Both cam tension devices do tighten down that chain, but you should be able to reshim, and roll each cam back into proper position without removing the lower cam tension spring.

One other thing you can check is chain wear using the upper cam chain tensioner (ACCT) as a guide. If you can easily, with no resistance screw the center bolt with the spring into the cam tensioner body, the chain needs to be replaced. You should have no less than 3/8 or 10mm resistance prior to making the first thread. Make sure you depress the detente' and retract the ratchet toothed leg into the cam tensioner body before you install the ACCT body on the engine.

Thanks Guy

All is sweet, Took it for a run and everything seems to be fine. Burnrider I did roll the cam out with the spring in place but I found it easier to put back with the spring taken out, reset the ACCT before replacing. I just thought that there was a far amount of tension on the chain and wanted to double check before firing it up.

I also installed a dynojet kit, it was money well spent, my son is really impressed.