Sign in to follow this  

Ohlins

I ordered a new Ohlins rear shock assembly today after a trial spin on a friends machine equipped with the same unit (unbelievable performance). Have any of you guys experienced this brand of suspension? Any way I thought I might see if there is any interest among fellow TTers in a re-valved (with Race Tech Gold valve) and re-sprung (Race Tech 11.5) showa unit that I will be replacing in 3 weeks when the Ohlins unit arrives. This shock is in excellent shape I just have to have the Ohlins after seeing how the other half lives. P.M. me if interested.

What is the part number of the Ohlins shock you ordered and is it for an XR400? Thanks.

What is the part number of the Ohlins shock you ordered and is it for an XR400? Thanks.

My parts guy is a distributor for them and he just told them what bike it is for (XR400) intended use, and rider weight and it is being built. The part number is irrelevent to me. I will let you know the part number when it arrives if you want.

Ohlins part number is HO 084 it is a 46PRC and yes it is for the XR400 specifically. I got to ride with it installed today and after some adjusting (sag etc.) this thing is plush. Compliments the Showa twin chamber forks nicely. Seems to float over the rough stuff. It is pricey though, but I figure you get what you pay for. Apparently those guys in Sweden take a month off during our summer so it took longer to get here than I expected, but it was worth the wait.

A little over $600. I get my parts through SLM Racing in Arlington. Mine has been a work in progress since day one and is finally at the level of comfort that I enjoy. You must be comfortable on your bike to enjoy riding it at speed.

A little over $600. I get my parts through SLM Racing in Arlington. Mine has been a work in progress since day one and is finally at the level of comfort that I enjoy. You must be comfortable on your bike to enjoy riding it at speed.

RJ - in describing the difference beetween a well set up stock rear shock to the Ohlins, what was the biggest difference?

Did you at any time think that the reworked original shokc you had couldnt get any better?

Just trying to work out how much better the Ohlins is - like 40% better or ?

I have only had 6 hours or so on the new shock so a percentage of improvement will be more appropriate after several more rides. The shock seems to absorb the braking/acceleration bumps more smoothly without loosing contact with the ground,therefore speeds into and out of the roughed up corners are slightly increased and your confidence and safety are increased resulting in more speed through these corners. High speed hits like rocks /roots etc. at speed it seems to be softer in the initial stroke while still providing great bottoming resistance. The Ohlins has more adjustability than the Showa unit (25 comp.& 40 reb.)I like my suspension set as soft as possible and still maintain safety and speed. I'm getting old and have a touch of arthritis in my lower back, so plush suspension travel is important to me.So is a good suspension tuner.

As far as "could the stocker be made any better?" It probably could but would it cost as much to do as the #1 rated shock produced for my intended use? Maybe. I feel it is better to just upgrade and help someone else upgrade at a reduced cost than to pursue those changes to the Showa.