Sign in to follow this  

Is 5'8" 170lb too small for DRZ400E?

There's a guy, 5'8" 170lbs, wanting to buy my E. I currently have it set up for a 265lb rider. I still have the stock springs though. Will he be able to make modifications enough to make it feasible? He wants to cut the seat. I told him they sell a lowering link and he could reinstall the stock springs. How much can you take off the seat and how low does a lowering link lower the bike? He's said he's been riding street bikes his whole life, but I told him he might be better off starting with a smaller displacement, or a lower bike for his first dirt bike. I just wanted to be honest. I know some of you guys have been down this road. How did you make out? I told him I'd post this question here, and let him know the responses. TIA

I'm 5' 7.5" I need the seat cut down, but can manage with just that, accept on uneaven ground.

The stock springs should be OK for him, and if he needs it, Kouba links the -1" ones till he gets used to it, then take them out.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

I'm 5-9, 145lb (was 170 earlier this year). Just fine, though I lowered it 3/4". I'm used to riding dualsports, so I'm used to a tall bike.

A 5'8 guy should not have any problem with a DRZ. I'm 5'7 and I can straddle a KTM without any problem.

I'm 5' 7.5" I need the seat cut down, but can manage with just that, accept on uneaven ground.

The stock springs should be OK for him, and if he needs it, Kouba links the -1" ones till he gets used to it, then take them out.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::ride:

Neil did the 5' 7.5" come out of a metric to inches conversion or is it an ego thing? :crazy:

j/k :ride::cry:

Neil did the 5' 7.5" come out of a metric to inches conversion or is it an ego thing? :crazy:

j/k :thumbsup::ride:

:ride::busted::busted::ride::cry::ride:

Neil did the 5' 7.5" come out of a metric to inches conversion or is it an ego thing? :ride:

j/k :thumbsup::ride:

A brit gone metric?!? Damn the EU :cry:

BTW, I'm 5'7.5 too (1.72 meter converted) but my ego lies somewhere else :ride:

5'9" 195lb, just got the gel seat, worked great, you might need the gel seat and possibly a kubalink (spelling?), but hey, it's an E!! you aren't going to be sitting on the seat much anyway! :thumbsup::ride:

im like 5'5" man just maybe a 30 inch inseam, cut the seat foam and im fine. but ive been riding dirt bikes my whole life and I have learned not to ride them to the ground. when it heads down I just step away and let it crash.

im like 5'5" man just maybe a 30 inch inseam, cut the seat foam and im fine. but ive been riding dirt bikes my whole life and I have learned not to ride them to the ground. when it heads down I just step away and let it crash.

droppin it in a mushed berm is like jumping into your waterbed, drop it in this rock garden and your toast...

http://www.2xtreme.net/~curt/images/Moto/Strawberry%207-23-06/Rock%2004.JPG

or this....

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1016/rockssssbh7.jpg

or this....

http://www.2xtreme.net/~curt/images/Moto/Strawberry%207-23-06/Rock%2001.JPG

Neil did the 5' 7.5" come out of a metric to inches conversion or is it an ego thing? :ride:

j/k :thumbsup::cry:

It's a family thing, sort of joke my father started.

I don't usually bother, but just for hell of it, I did :busted:

Usually I just settle for 5'7" and be done with it, but now I've had a few beers :ride:

Actually I could go on all night :busted:

Neil. :ride::ride::crazy:

droppin it in a mushed berm is like jumping into your waterbed, drop it in this rock garden and your toast...

http://www.2xtreme.net/~curt/images/Moto/Strawberry%207-23-06/Rock%2004.JPG

or this....

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1016/rockssssbh7.jpg

or this....

http://www.2xtreme.net/~curt/images/Moto/Strawberry%207-23-06/Rock%2001.JPG

Thank you captain obvious :thumbsup:

Thats pretty nice terrain most of our rock gardens are broken granite jeep trails and its all jagged. I find just not crashing works best, lol.

I find just not crashing works best, lol.

uh..hum...that's capt. SmartAss to you... :ride:

BTW, that's advice none can deny :thumbsup: however, none can achieve :ride:

trust me, we slolamed around rock crawlers all day, I agree the jagged broken sh#t is painful :cry: , this is all rounded weathered crap above 8000'msl

Sounds really fun rocky I get to ride that kinda stuff up in aubury (sp?) there are so many miles of trail up there its just stick. Do you jet for the elevation? I ride from a couple hundred feet to 7500+ as I dont truck anyplace. I run alright up there but im curious what others do to combat altitude.

For any other short guys out there...just FYI I'm 5'6" and am probably the absolute shortest you can go and still touch both toes (barely) on my 400S...I looked at a few other Dual sports that I could touch a little better but I am so happy I went with the DRZ...

I'm 5'5" 140#. I cut my seat down and can ride fine. I also have LOTS of seat time so that will be an issue. I might check out a TTR230 or 250 if it's his 1st bike.

completely irrelevant; But I just built the coolest downhill jump ever, it's like those vids in Cali that the guys go hill-hopping over. I'm so happy. :cry::ride::thumbsup:

If he's been riding street bikes all his life then he knows how to ride/handle a bike. The only concern he may have is at lights and can confidently touch the ground.. If he has enough experience he'll know to straddle the seat once it's required.

I'd say if he's confident enough let him have at it. I'm 5'9" 30 inseam and a stock DRZ is a little high for my liking but I left it as such because of my street bike experience. Even with this seat height its easier to handle than a 27in seat height on a 650 lb cruiser.

Ken