Sign in to follow this  

YZ woods set up

Just curious does any one have a YZ that is set up for the woods and how do they like... What are the pro's and con's versus a WR?

ya mines set up for in the woods like skit plates,camps,bars, radator gards, tires, and more.. my buddys got a wr but there heavy, slower, and more so i wood defently go with the yz for trail,unless your a slower but long rider .

As far as having it set up for the woods, I think I would qualify. I am running a WER skid plate, bark busters, suspension revalved, 20" wheel up front, 18" wheel in the rear, Rekluse clutch, Rekluse LH rear brake kit. TO COME: Athena 290 kit, flywheel weight. Mine is a 2004 YZ250f and I love it in the woods. I could use a little more power but overall it is great. The WR's geometry just feels like a pig to me. I don't know if its the suspension valving or the extra weight, but I feel the YZ's are much better suited for the woods especially if your racing in a "A" or "AA" class. Hope this helps you a bit. Cheers

yah, the only thing good about the WR is the fact that it has E-start. other wise if you want to get competitive in woods racing, your better off getting a yz250 smoker, and using that for the woods, so much lighter and easier to ride in the woods. IMO

i love my yz in the woods! i bought it from a motcross guy and havent changed anything other than the suspension. i put on some bark busters and i was ready to go. WRs are just to heavey. they are for long trails or something. GOOD LUCK!!

I think I am getting a yz next time, they are 29 lbs lighter. I think a Rekluse clutch will help a lot with not having a button, because you will hardley ever stall.

I own both a 05 WR and a 05 YZF. The WR is a very nice trail bike w/ its lower first and higher fifth gears. The girl button is GREAT, especially for trail working or for just being a slacker. I have the street plate on it, which is really fun. It's surprisingly quick for how quiet it is (after free mods, of course). The WR's suspension is actually pretty unremarkable IMO compared to my YZF's revalved suspension and will be soon laying in pieces on my workbench. Handling feels pretty good if you keep it on the ground. It can scoot pretty good down the trail, but the weight is always very noticeable.

For racing though, the YZF is much lighter & nimble, the closer ratio tranny is an advantage, starting is NOT a problem, and the YZF is definitely my choice for the woods race bike. Keep in mind that I am a pretty fair A Class rider. Beginners would probably not enjoy a YZF at times in the woods.

I also have a yz250f 03 that I mainly ride in the woods. For a little more low end power from stock I got a new pipe, power bomb header, power now, and jd jet kit. For protection, I added some bark busters and soon a skid plate. For comfort, I took a drill and swiss cheesed the bottom of the brick like seat, and got a little taller bars. As far as the suspension, I set my sag to four inches, softened the compression and adjusted the rebound so it doesn't kick. The suspension could be better, but I can live with it for now. In the future I may add the boysen water pump just to help keep it cool, but I have not had any problems as of yet and it has been very hot (80-95 degrees.) I like the bike very much, but I can't compare it to a wr because I have never riden one for a long period of time.

Thanks for all of the help! I am thinking oftrading my '06 WR. I don't race but am thinking of doing a few hare scrambles. I love the bike but it's the wieght issue that I have a tuff time with. Feels like I'm constanly fighting the bike in the woods. Again thanks for the input. :ride::thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the help! I am thinking oftrading my '06 WR. I don't race but am thinking of doing a few hare scrambles. I love the bike but it's the wieght issue that I have a tuff time with. Feels like I'm constanly fighting the bike in the woods. Again thanks for the input. :ride::thumbsup:

Alot of wr bashing going on! I have 2 wr's in the garage, along with a yzf, and hands down prefer the wr's in the woods! Just my two cents worth. :cry:

Hands down, i would take my yz250 over my uncles wr250 any day. Im only 15 and only weigh a little over 100lbs. my bike is so much more nible in tight spot and it never stalls on on me either like my uncles. my yz is and 04 and his wr is and 06 but the estart is nice

I race both a WR450 and a YZF 250 and in some places I straight up prefer the WR in some areas. Sure the YZF is more nimble in the technical areas but if the trail opens up the WR would blow it away, even the WR250. I dont feel ANY weight difference at all between the bikes when I am riding. The YZF is better is the woods, to me, but it lacks in some places where the WR would make up. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup: