Sign in to follow this  

SXC 625 Stop Vibration

You need to get on advrider.com and start digging.

There's a ton of info on addressing the vibrations on that beast of yours.

By the way, the 625 Katooms don't vibrate, you're feeling nervous anticipation.

Dirty

How many miles are on it, is it stone stock, how long have you owned it and what did you ride before it?

My bike has 1000 miles and came with both 17inch and the dirt wheels. I took my first ride with the 17's( easy highway). Haven't tried it in dirt yet. Don't like the comfort seat, if you try to sit in the middle it pushes you to the tank. Who might I send this to for a custom fit? Last year I road a BMW gs 1200. Much to heavy for any off road use, but no vibration. I have the normal enduro bikes, 05 KTM 450 exc, Husky TE 450, and a Sherco trials. The SXC vibrates much more than any of these. Any help?

It's not broken in yet... wait a few thousand miles. Unlike the pure enduro bikes you own, the LC4 engine is designed to go at least 40K miles if properly maintained and has a long break-in.

Bar end weights from Stenhouse Racing will help with bar vibs.

A seat, custom made for your height, weight and inseam from Renazco Racing will reduce the slope forcing you into the crotch of the seat and reduce some of the vibration as well.

A proper rejet, if it hasn't been done yet, will not only improve performance but make the bike run smoother as well. You don't say what year your SXC is, but regardless if it's a Mikuni BST40 equipped '03 or a FCR41 equipped '04, they both came lean from the factory.

JD Jetting has a kit if it's an '04... and there is plenty of data on ADVRider in the LC4 Index if it's an '03.

So there you go... comfort, power and smoothness, all in one post. What a concept.

Ciao,

C

Man I just got my first LC4 and love the vibes! And no I'm not a girl.

Vibes are just another way your bike communicates its sweet song....embrace.

Plus I'm used to big bore single smokers (KX500, 300 XCW) and am coming off Buells so the LC4 is buttah...

Thanks Creeper for your reply. I ordered the bar weights and will send my seat to Renazco to get fixed. I put the dirt wheels on today. It has a 15/45 sprockets. Is this close? Also this is a 2003. To me the bike feels better with the dirt wheels and the vibes don't seem so bad trail riding. But the higher the rpm's the more she vibrates. This bike will be out West soon exploring.

Thanks Creeper for your reply. I ordered the bar weights and will send my seat to Renazco to get fixed. I put the dirt wheels on today. It has a 15/45 sprockets. Is this close? Also this is a 2003. To me the bike feels better with the dirt wheels and the vibes don't seem so bad trail riding. But the higher the rpm's the more she vibrates. This bike will be out West soon exploring.

15/45 is great for dirt... a bit low for the highway cruising, but nice snappy acceleration.

Funny how bikes get smoother in the dirt isn't it... that or we have less "free time" to consider it.

More miles will help in making the engine smoother. Has a valve lash inspection been performed on it yet? If not... it's due. The clearances might be a bit on the tight side. Here's a guide link if you want to DIY.

If it's an '03 with a BST40... here's another link to give you a starting point for tuning. The title is for 640As... but the '03 SXC is about as close to an A as you can get.

Sorry these are links to just my stuff. If you look around, I'm sure you can find info from other sources.

Have fun,

C

I had a 2001 LC4 for a short while.

Try riding a Moto Guzzi for a day, then you won't feel like your bike vibrates that much, LOL.

In the garage

2001 Ducati 996S

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2001 Yamaha WR250

2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire

2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

1974 Suzuki TM400

How many ks between valve lash inspections, my dealer said to me at its first 1000 k service that it wasn't necessary, even thought i disagree. Mine as an 06 sxc with JD jet kit and staintune, I ride it only in the bush and ride fairly hard on the big girl....

The valve lash inspection needs to be done in the first 1000 miles. Those parts are breaking in and the valves will have receded into the their respective seats.

Then they need to be inspected again at around 3000 miles and every 3000 miles after that... or if you have an hour meter, every 45 to 60 hours. Personally, I check mine every 1500 to 2000 miles... but I'm a bit obsessive. :thumbsup:

A bike ridden frequently at or near redline... the time frames should be cut in half... maybe even less if the bike is raced.

After the engine breaks in, you may find that a lash inspection is just that, and inspection and no adjustments are required. LC4 top ends are pretty sturdy.

There is a link to a valve lash inspection/adjustment DIY guide in my last post... if you do the work yourself, you'll have a record of the lash condition and develop an understanding of the wear that occurs and how it relates to your riding style.

C

I think my problem is I wanted my sxc to be as smooth as the BMW gs 1200 I rode last year. I must remember I sold that bike because it was a hand full out of control, on any thing but an easy dual sport ride. Always to afraid to take it across a small stream or any type of trail; how would I ever pick it up if I went down. The KTM is much more of a bike for me, this is a serious off road bike. Since I have taken this bike on a few trails now, and have found it to be much more like my 450 exc and Husky TE 510, I will keep this bike. I will change to a 16/42 gearing and this should help alot on the highway, maybe put the 15/45 on for trails. Just resealed my rocker cover thanks to all the internet post on this bike. Can't wait to go out West.