Sign in to follow this  

2002 WR250, won't idle and needs choke in to run

Can anyone shed some light on my problem...My Wr250 is hard to start and then when it finally does start, even after I ride it and warm it up a bit, I have to leave the choke on for it to run smooth. Is it an air problem, fuel problem or both..?

I wonder if they are all related, hard starting/won't idle etc....

Only running OK with the choke on is a sign that you're very lean. You've probably got an air leak in the intake tract, or possibly a dirty pilot jet.

Check your intake tract for leaks, and remove and clean your pilot jet and its passage.

One good way to check for air leaks is to squirt starting fluid around all the joints in the intake while the bike is idling. If it speeds up, you've found the leak. Starting fluid is very flammable, so be careful of ignition sources like your red hot exhaust pipe, etc.

Clean your pilot jet by squirting carb cleaner followed by compressed air through it, and its passage.

I agree with oldnbold and barton you have a lean condition and should check all of the things they listed. I would also check out your hot start plunger in your carb (clean and very lightly lube) to make sure it is not sticking open and creating a lean condition.

It could be many things, I'm not a mechanic although I had the same problem before. Try changing the gas, idle, check carb, maybe air filter.

pull your flue screww out and check if the tip is pointy mine was like that and turns out it broke of inside the carb and blocked up the flue hole and would only run with the choke on

pull your flue screww out and check if the tip is pointy mine was like that and turns out it broke of inside the carb and blocked up the flue hole and would only run with the choke on

Nick, I'm glad you found your problem, as I was out of ideas. Is it running OK now?

OK, I fixed the problem! BAD fuel and dirty carb! it runs like a charm. I did order a new DR.D air fuel screw. Thanks for the help RJ

Try fuel/air screw located on the bottom of your carb. on the engine side.