Sign in to follow this  

Front sprocket bolt won't come out

Helping my buddy change the front sprocket on his kid's 50 since it is long over due. However the bolt wont' come out. It goes about 3/4 of the way, then just spins. It is stripped? How do we get it out?

Try using a 4" disc grinder to grind away enough of the bolt to remove the lockplate, and slide the sprocket off. Once you have it off, simply replace the sprocket with a new one, and get another lockplate bolt.

Try using a 4" disc grinder to grind away enough of the bolt to remove the lockplate, and slide the sprocket off. Once you have it off, simply replace the sprocket with a new one, and get another lockplate bolt.
Whoa! Don't jump too soon I mean no one wants to wait for a new part. Soak it with wd 40 get a wire brush take a couple of deep breathes and fight it a little longer. Once you have damaged it is when you should buy a new part. There is probaly just a bunch built of dirt. I know I had to fight a little to get it off too.

It goes about 3/4 of the way, then just spins.
Once you have damaged it is when you should buy a new part.

Sounds to me like the sprocket is already stripped, and the damage is already done... :thumbsup:

Most bike shops that have been in business for a while should have the sprocket in stock, along with the lockplate bolts.