Sign in to follow this  

Hey people watch your vent tubes

I washed my bike today and when the bike was on the stand I noticed the crank case vent tube was sticking up after I just blasted that area. I decided after I was finished I would remove the tube to make sure I didn't get any water down the cases. Took the tube off and found some sand stuck to the inside of the tube on oil residue at the crank case fitting end. I checked the fitting in the cases and found only a little dust. I flushed the hose and put it back together. It must have happend a couple of weeks ago when I dumped it in the sand. Just thought I'd let everyone know to keep an eye on it because I will now. I checked the manual and it appears that it actually vents to the tranns not to the crank. I'm going to change the oil if any dirt got in it should be in the filter and the crank should be safe(knock on wood).

I washed my bike today and when the bike was on the stand I noticed the crank case vent tube was sticking up after I just blasted that area. I decided after I was finished I would remove the tube to make sure I didn't get any water down the cases. Took the tube off and found some sand stuck to the inside of the tube on oil residue at the crank case fitting end. I checked the fitting in the cases and found only a little dust. I flushed the hose and put it back together. It must have happend a couple of weeks ago when I dumped it in the sand. Just thought I'd let everyone know to keep an eye on it because I will now. I checked the manual and it appears that it actually vents to the tranns not to the crank. I'm going to change the oil if any dirt got in it should be in the filter and the crank should be safe(knock on wood).

Great reminder Thanks :thumbsup:

i just bought a cheap clamp on k&n style breather filter that you can find at most auto parts stores then i cut the end of the hose off to where the filter would be sitting on top of the case, i left the hose long enough that it still wraps up over the carb and back down to the case,. then i stuck a small piece of pipe in the end of the hose so the filter had something solid to clamp on to.

thanks for the info-I might have to ride sand again this weekend so I should have time to get the ventting done.