Sign in to follow this  

Looking for more power on 450xc

I would like to broaden the power a little on my 450xc to pull a little better in taller gears without gearing down. Current gearing is 14-51 which is one up from stock. I drop the counter to 13 for tight single track, but my main riding is desert and desert racing, so I need top end for bomb starts and fast sections.

I have already spent a lot of $ on this bike in susp and other goodies, so I don't want to spend a bunch nor do I want another yz450.

What about SX cdi, or SMR cam, -7oz flywheel?

Yup, that's why I don't understand why so many people say that the XC or MXC gearing is so great in the desert. I think the EXC has the best gearbox, both for trail riding and flat out desert.

The lighter flywheel won't give you much at all. Spot on jetting might be helpful, or, as you suggested, a hotter CDI or cam. Still, it sounds like it will cost some money for you to see a noticeable improvement. A few more HP in the mid to upper range are what you need in the desert, perhaps a pipe/muffler or intake improvement will give you an added boost.

In desert racing, I seemed to lose or gain the most time or positions either at the start to the smoke bomb or later in the WFO sections, both of which were ridden on the main jet.