I might be purchasing an 02 CRF450 tomorrow...

... I'd like to know the ups and downs of this bike. Should I look in a different direction or will I have a fairly solid bike? Any help would be appreciated!

(When I check it out is there anything specific to that particular bike I should be looking out for?)

Here's the pic:

988018311_l.jpg

I bought one last January that had been raced by a class d rider. I have ridden nearly every weekend . I have had the valves ckecked twice and no problems . I probably would not have bought it had I read all of the horror stories with the valves . I am glad I found TT after I got the bike because it has been rock solid dependable and tons of power every where . Other than leaking fork seals and worn rear tire it is good to go. I love it. I am getting new valves and a piston just to be ready when the time comes. I love the bike.

I've had an 02 for some time now and it's been bullet proof. With good and regular maintenance you should be fine. My average weekend rides are about 75 - 125 miles over two days and I've never had an issue. I mainly trail ride the desert in SoCal or dunes up in Oregon. The down that everyone seems to complain about is the front wheel push in turns. That's a pretty easy fix. Change the oil regularly and check the valves at reasonable intervals and you should be fine. Good Luck.

one of the dealers in my town had a 02 450, then i went to the honda dealer and he said he had one and it was the worst things he has ever rode because of the frame and the angle of the forks,and the way the engine was put in the frame made it horrible at handling, so i bought an 06 450 instead.

one of the dealers in my town had a 02 450, then i went to the honda dealer and he said he had one and it was the worst things he has ever rode because of the frame and the angle of the forks,and the way the engine was put in the frame made it horrible at handling, so i bought an 06 450 instead.

Way to rain on his parade! ?

The 02 is a good all around bike, but it is a dated machine at this point. If it's in good shape and you just want a fun bike and aren't overly serious about racing then it will be a great bike for you.

Check the air box seal if it's still the stock 02 one. Some people think the front end pushes. Improving that, assuming the suspension is dialed in, takes different triple clamps, or a longer link. The link is cheaper but makes the bike sit higher. People have different opinions on the valves.

Do a search on "02" in this forum and you'll find a few recent threads with this same question and some good answers.

Give me a break, that guy is an idiot or that was a sales pitch.

The 02 is a good all around bike, but it is a dated machine at this point. If it's in good shape and you just want a fun bike and aren't overly serious about racing then it will be a great bike for you.

I completely disagree. They need a little setup, but once that is done they are competitive in any class. The newer bikes are better for most riders right off the showroom floor, but once tweaked to a personal fit a well setup '02 will not hold you back one position in an amateur race. From that first '02 450 on, these bikes have more power and suspension ability when set up right than 99% of riders can use. If you can't over ride the bike, then it isn't holding you back, and no one short of a top pro will override an '02 450 with good suspension and 20mm clamps.

I rode an '02 CRF for 2 years. It is one of the nicest bikes I have ever owned for several reasons.

Before I sold it I had 20mm Pro Circuit triple clamps, WC Pro Perch, Pro Tapers, Race Tech suspension, Fastway lowboys, Pro Circuit T-4 pipe, Engine Dynamics motor work and a bunch of other stuff. It was a great bike but not as good as my '05.

Who ever you talked to at the dealership is a typcial dealership retard.

Well guys... thanks for all the help. I bought it! '02 CRF 450 with JM suspension, Protaper bars and Applied triple clamp, Big Gun exhaust, black excel oversized wheels, some aftermarket red hubs, the works. Oh... and my personal favorite... bored .10 (I think) over. ? At $2700 I thought it was a steal! So I got it about 4 hours ago and I just got done riding at the local track. The thing RIPS! I've only ridden one other 450, a '03 YZF450. I loved the YZ but I'm nuts about this bike. After all the engine work JM Racing did, the thing has more power than I'll ever know what to do with. And I sure gave that suspension a test on a new jump... the bike took off much faster than I thought and I over-cleared a big step-up, dropped a good 15 feet if not more, and I rode away. Granted my nuts were NOT happy with me... but I'm alive. I'll try and get up some pictures tomorrow.

I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!! ?:ride:

I live in north Houston, off 290. You racing Skeeters tonight? I can't make it, I just put a new cam in my bike and still need to break it in before I race again...I really enjoyed racing Skeeter in that last series though, it's a fun track. My friend and I will probably ride Splendora Sunday if weather allows, maybe Highlands. If you want to meet at a track sometime, I can give you some pointers on the '02, I bought mine when they first came out and still have it. Congrat's again on the bike, enjoy it!

Brandon

Glad to hear you got a nice '02 and that you like it. I bought an '02 in the summer of '04 and love it. It's fast, reliable and fun, what more could I want? Like these guys said, change the oil often and check the valves from time to time and you'll be fine. I change my oil every other ride and change my filter with every other oil change. I clean my air filter every three rides and check the valves every other air filter change and have yet to even see a problem. You did well on the price, too. Have fun!

I live in north Houston, off 290. You racing Skeeters tonight? I can't make it, I just put a new cam in my bike and still need to break it in before I race again...I really enjoyed racing Skeeter in that last series though, it's a fun track. My friend and I will probably ride Splendora Sunday if weather allows, maybe Highlands. If you want to meet at a track sometime, I can give you some pointers on the '02, I bought mine when they first came out and still have it. Congrat's again on the bike, enjoy it!

Brandon

Yea... it'd be great to hook up and ride sometime. I might be headed out to ThreePalms next weekend sometime. Game?

Glad to hear you got a nice '02 and that you like it. I bought an '02 in the summer of '04 and love it. It's fast, reliable and fun, what more could I want? Like these guys said, change the oil often and check the valves from time to time and you'll be fine. I change my oil every other ride and change my filter with every other oil change. I clean my air filter every three rides and check the valves every other air filter change and have yet to even see a problem. You did well on the price, too. Have fun!

Thanks, I'll definatley be changing the oil frequently and checking the valves about twice a year.

• 4 months later...

I own an '02, prior bike was an '04 cr 250r, this bike is awesome. Reynard mods on the cylinder, and a wiseco piston is about it for mods. My buddy who owns a '06 yz450 says mine is faster! So, he who says these are dated, old bikes, I say bring it on! By the way, I am a vet pro, my buddy rides in the A class, so we have just a little experience in this glorious sport.

You might want to look into an 03 or 04 rear link or a storm link. I replaced the rear link on my old 02 with an 04 and it made a wrold of difference with turning. ( this changes the head angle to that of an 03-04 by lifting the rear of the bike up about 3/4")

Well guys... thanks for all the help. I bought it! '02 CRF 450 with JM suspension, Protaper bars and Applied triple clamp, Big Gun exhaust, black excel oversized wheels, some aftermarket red hubs, the works. Oh... and my personal favorite... bored .10 (I think) over. ? At $2700 I thought it was a steal! So I got it about 4 hours ago and I just got done riding at the local track. The thing RIPS! I've only ridden one other 450, a '03 YZF450. I loved the YZ but I'm nuts about this bike. After all the engine work JM Racing did, the thing has more power than I'll ever know what to do with. And I sure gave that suspension a test on a new jump... the bike took off much faster than I thought and I over-cleared a big step-up, dropped a good 15 feet if not more, and I rode away. Granted my nuts were NOT happy with me... but I'm alive. I'll try and get up some pictures tomorrow.

I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!! :bonk:?

:devil:? :smirk: I Love my 02', Enjoy yours ?