Sign in to follow this  

ARB or Detroit locker for Toyota Tacoma??

Hi, i have 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 !!! I want to put a rear lockerin it and i have a choice of Detroit and ARB air locker! I know that they are both great lockers, but i dont really know which one works better :thumbsup: The thing i like about ARB air locker is that you can turn on and off, where with Detroit it works all the time!

Thanks!

Huh? Are you kidding? If you can afford it, get the ARB.

You got an auto or stick shift? With an auto the detroit is not too bad onroad. I vote detroit.

If you tow much with that truck or use it for a daily driver go with the arb.

Wow, my 98 Tacoma V6 TRD 4WD came stock with a electrically operated locker! :thumbsup: Actually, I installed a Detroit "SL" or soft locker in a buddys 94 Toyota and it does lock up easily on asphalt and scrubs the tires a bunch. But does work nice. An ARB locker is like my stock unit, its an open diff which is great for the streets, but locks up tight for serious off roading. Hey, how about a factory Toyota locker ass'y? I priced the entire carrier once for a buddy, this is the entire pumpkin, case, carrier, ring/pinion, electric locker ass'y and it was just over $900 my cost! Drawback to the ARB is a air line gets torn out and its usually when you really need to lock that rear diff!

Drawback to the ARB is a air line gets torn out and its usually when you really need to lock that rear diff!

Normally it's due to a bad installation/routing of lines. You don't see many brake lines tearing off do you? Even if it's torn off, it's an easy fix as long as you use the plastic blue lines that come with the ARB's.

Only drawback, I see, are the costs.

Where in CA are you located? Whos doing the install? I vote detroit, ARB is not worth it in my opinion. Are those the only 2 options you have considered?

Normally it's due to a bad installation/routing of lines. You don't see many brake lines tearing off do you? Even if it's torn off, it's an easy fix as long as you use the plastic blue lines that come with the ARB's.

Well, I do see a difference between a high pressure crimped hydraulic brake line vs an air line with squish on ferrules. One will tear off much easier, but agreed, good install is the "key"

I've run full detroit lockers on the street before and it's not that bad, there is a little driving adjustment to get used to though. The ARB would be sweet and if you can afford it, I would likely go that route.

ARB if you drive more than 45% on highway. If you are 90% or more off road all the time, Detroit locker will work good and is cheaper. I put a limited slip in my 85 Toy, 2wd with 4.56s and 31s and it works great on and off road.

I have a Detroit locker in my 85 Toyota, if its street driven most of the time, I would opt for an ARB or a maybe a TrueTrac differential. Also had a Detroit in a 78 Ford F250 4X4, the automatic transmission made the power transition much smoother compared to a manual trans. Theres too much backlash in the clutching teeth in the Detroit for disengaging and engaging continuously from using the clutch, but you can adjust your driving habits to use the clutch more and slowly to smooth it out.

Hi, i have 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 !!! I want to put a rear lockerin it and i have a choice of Detroit and ARB air locker! I know that they are both great lockers, but i dont really know which one works better :thumbsup: The thing i like about ARB air locker is that you can turn on and off, where with Detroit it works all the time!

Thanks!

I have gotten LOTS of info from YOTATECH a great site nad more Yota info than most men can handle. I am on there but under a different name, go there you won't be disappointed.