Sign in to follow this  

Lake Powell riding?

I know it's pretty hot at Lake Powell right now, but with the lake extremely low again, is there any more legal riding to be had there? The area that was flooded to make the lake was considered a wilderness, but since it's been "destroyed" by flooding it, shouldn't the shoreline be open OHV territory? There must be hundreds of miles of exposed, rideable, shoreline that was formerly "destroyed" by being underwater. Anyone know the status of riding there? Is the exposed shoreline suddenly a wilderness again?

I know it's pretty hot at Lake Powell right now, but with the lake extremely low again, is there any more legal riding to be had there? The area that was flooded to make the lake was considered a wilderness, but since it's been "destroyed" by flooding it, shouldn't the shoreline be open OHV territory? There must be hundreds of miles of exposed, rideable, shoreline that was formerly "destroyed" by being underwater. Anyone know the status of riding there? Is the exposed shoreline suddenly a wilderness again?

I rode that area once in July, Big mistake the heat cooked my brain, couldn't find enough beer to cool me down :thumbsup:

I rode that area once in July, Big mistake the heat cooked my brain, couldn't find enough beer to cool me down :thumbsup:

Ahhhhh I'm starting to understand you a bit more now Dave :ride:

I made the July mistake once...Never again. The lake was so warm it felt like bath water.

The reason I asked about shoreline riding is that when I was there last srping I was astounded at the acreage that was exposed and should be fair game to ride on. You have to see it to believe it.

I suspect the NPS/GCRA will have it both ways; a lake when it's full and a wilderness when it's low.

Well most of the lake and surrounding area is either national or state park and has pretty strict rules about riding down there. By strict I mean that you can not ride there unless you ride on existing roads and are on a street legal bike. :thumbsup: