Sign in to follow this  

fcr39 leaking gas

I installed my fcr39 today and modded my petcock so that I have an on, off and reserve position. Essentially I am running it on prime.

The problem is when I was trying to start my bike (to no avail) I noticed that there was a lot of gas leaking out of the overflow tube. Is this because I flooded the carb with the twist throttle (I was twisting it like mad to try to prime the carb), or do I have a bigger issue?

Im just a little worried as I got this carb off of Ebay ("in perfect working order"). And already had to put a new float bowl gasket on it cause it was spewing gas from the bowl.

Also, someone suggested that I will have to turn the petcock to off position when the bike is not running. I had this same setup (fcr39 w/modded petcock) on my Ltz400 and never had a gas leak problem.

p.s. am I having trouble starting the bike beacuse of the taffy mod that I performed?

p.p.s. Searched and didn't find what I was looking for.

Oh ya, and can I take off all those hoses all over the carb (there evreywhere)?

leave the hoses.

possibles on the leak.

junk in the needle and seat.

worn needle and seat.

dryed up oring around seat.

high float level.

tafyy mod has no effect on starting.its starting hard becuase its flooding.

I took the float needle and seat out and there was a bunch of black crud in there. I assume it was peices of the rotting o-ring.

My question is this is the o-ring that is in there a special "low profile" type of o-ring.

I tried to replace it with a generic o-ring but it was too fat and I couldn't get the seat back into hole. The 0-ring that was in there originally seemed very flat, like it needed to be ordered special. Im not sure if thats just becuase it was squished.

Just in case anyone is planning on changing there o-ring you might want to buy one that is fuel resistant. I learned the hard way.

Just in case anyone is planning on changing there o-ring you might want to buy one that is fuel resistant. I learned the hard way.

//DOH :thumbsup: