Sign in to follow this  

Internal oil screen maintenance

Has anybody serviced those oil screens that you have to split the cases to get to? If so, is it an absolute nightmare to get to? I was planning on doing it at the end of the season, and have heard that it is critical to do, and I have also have heard that if you keep up on maintenence, you really don't have to do it. I don't know what to believe, any help would be great. :thumbsup: Thanks

I took mine out when I had to split the cases after muddy water got in. The bike had 19hrs on it and other than the mud and sticks, the screens had almost nothing on them. Some piece of tread like wire I have no idea from where it came and a tiny bit of gasket material.

It took about 6hrs to get the motor out, split and reassemble. Had a few hang ups with the shift selector thing and the cam chain guides. Not my idea of a fun night.

My opinion, if you aren't splitting the cases anyway and nothing major has happened, leave them be.

Splitting the cases isn't even bad. Once you do it two or three times it seems no worse than a top end in a two stroke used to seem.

I bet nowadays changing a top end in a two stroke would feel as easy as changing a spark plug...