Stock Springs w/ a revalve for 200 lbs?

Is anyone running stock springs .46/5.5 w/ a revalve only that weighs about 200+. I currently have .49/5.8 springs and just sent them off to MB1 for a revalve. When I got my Factory Connection springs I weighed about 240...now I weigh 220 and I'm still losing. They recommend for 220 to go to like a .47/5.4 or something like that. I told them I wanted to get down to 200, so they recommend just putting stock back on and revalving that.

Is anyone similar weight running this? I'm a 30+ B rider and wonder what I should do? I just remember @ 240+ it was very soft. will losing the weight and running valving work??

When you get to 200 put the stock springs back and see how it works. All it'll cost you is some fork oil...

The problem is that it's getting revalved now and the springs on it are too stiff for my current weight. I have 2 options:

1) Buy lighter springs now and get them installed, but I really don't want to purchases springs now if I need lighter ones in a couple months...waste of money.

2) Install the stock springs and I will eventually "fit" into them...

what have you heard about MB-1?? I'm 190 with no gear and sure would be nice to run the stock springs and maybe have MB-1 do my suspension when they come to Millville for the pro national in 2 weeks. I'm picking up a leftover 05' new in a few days.

Dude,

The valve stack is most likely the same whether you wiegh 200 - 220 or 240. The spring controls your ride height....Period

And thats the point. Run the springs you have until you get to about 215. At that point your on the very outside edge of both the rates. At 215, you'll be able to bridge the gap.

If it were me, Id put a pair of .49's in the fork and a 5.6 on the shock and not worry about the rate again. That will bridge both ends of what you weigh.

Stock springs are .46/5.5.... I talked to MB1 today and I'm going back to stock springs. If I don't like it how it rides, I'll just bump them up then. I'd much prefer it on the plush side, anyway. I don't know without actually riding them first.....we'll see - I'll let ya know!

And thats the point. Run the springs you have until you get to about 215. At that point your on the very outside edge of both the rates. At 215, you'll be able to bridge the gap.

If it were me, Id put a pair of .49's in the fork and a 5.6 on the shock and not worry about the rate again. That will bridge both ends of what you weigh.[/quote

Shawn_mc,

I have .49's already, but MB1 told me to go w/ .47's at my current weight. They said the .49 was too stiff for me now because I used to weigh 240...

Stock is .46 - one spring lower from what they recommended. they said that I could alway put a little more oil in it if it is bottoming - until I get down to 200. That's what they recommended....I'm going w/ that and see how I like it. Thanks for the help.

shanedog i got a set of .47 showa fork springs came out of my 03crf .47 came stock back then i'll take $45.00 plus shipping

See PM - I'm going to try stock first, if that doesn't work - I'm interested. One question - does the shorter fork length on the '06 change anything w/ the spring length from the different years, anyone?? ?

I really think that MB1 is a good company but tend to under spring. Reason I say this that I called all the major players in this market and all suggested .52kg-.54kg for my forks and 6.2kg-6.4kg for the shock. When I talked to MB1 they thought that I was crazy and said .50 kg forks & 6.0kg shock max!. ?

What I would suggest is run the current spring setup. Here is my reason...if you take the time to correctly setup up your suspension (Race Sag & Free Sag) this is what will determine your spring rates. Remember these CRF450 love 105mm-108mm of Race sag and 25mm-32mm of free sag. If you can get this with your current rates then you are good. If and when you drop the extra weight and you get out of these specs then yes it time to change rates....

theDogger

MB1 did my 05 and I used the .49 and loved it for moto. I weigh 205. I am getting an 07 next week so let me know if you want to unload you 4.9's. I know I will go up on front springs.

Remember these CRF450 love 105mm-108mm of Race sag and 25mm-32mm of free sag.

theDogger

You must be running a Factory Connection set-up....I have Factory Connection springs and had set my sag to 108mm per their recommendations and I hated it. I changed it to 100mm and noticed a huge difference in turning (for the better) w/ no high speed stability problems...

You must be running a Factory Connection set-up....I have Factory Connection springs and had set my sag to 108mm per their recommendations and I hated it. I changed it to 100mm and noticed a huge difference in turning (for the better) w/ no high speed stability problems...

I know that this is what FC recommends.....but actually was talking to kelstr about it and he said that there really isn't a better choice. Said that it will feel weird at first but is the best setup for the big 450....

theDogger

I just rode my new set-up for the first time - Bad Ass!! The stock springs w/ the revalve is awesome. I currently weigh 220 and I didn't slam once. I definately recommend MB1 for everyone. I didn't even have to touch the clickers, once. Very plush. I'm telling you, you don't need super stiff springs unless you're a super fast intermediate. don't get me wrong, I'm not a beginner, but I'm not the fastest guy on the track - I can hold my own. I was surprised w/ the stock springs MB1 made them work very well. nothing but praise for the new set-up....definately worth the money!

check out the link..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v486/SHANEDOGG/?action=view&current=DSCF2317.flv

Shanedogg cool little video clip!! Is that you on your freshly revalved MB1 bike?? That sounds very promising that they can get it right for a 200 plus pounder with stock springs!! So what was the total cash layout for the revalve if you don't mind my asking?? Have you tried it in braking bumps and square edge holes yet?? THANKS.

That video was pre-revalve, but just to give you an idea of what I'm jumping w/ stock springs and the revalve. I get a support rider discount, but a complete revalve, replace fluids and fork seals - I also got oil lock collars will run you about $500-$600 depending if you want the oil lock collars, or if you re-spring, it'll be about $200 more. DEFINATELY worth the money - very smooth. Any other bike in the future will be revalved first, MB1 has a ton of experience and knowledge.