Sign in to follow this  

tire sizes?

I am ordering some rims from rad manufacturing and would appreciate some advise on what will fit my bike. I have an 06 ktm 525 exc. the rims I am ordering are 3.5x17 and 4.5x17. I think I want the fattest tire I can fit without modification. is this a good theory? what size and brand would you recomend? I will be throwing some more power at it this winter and racing next season.

thank-you

fred.

A 160 (or 165 race tire) is the maximum width you'll want to go with a 4.5 inch rim. The chain/swing arm clearance likely won't be an issue (although a little chain rub is not uncommon). The problem with putting an excessively-wide tire on a relatively narrow rim is that the tire's profile gets so distorted that side grip starts to decrease because the tire is pinched inward more than it was designed to be.

If you're thinking street tires, I favor Michelin Pilot Powers and Metzler M1/M3's. I've run Pilot Power's in a 160 size on a 4.25 rim with pretty good results.

I run a 150 on my 06 450 EXC. The 150 is about as wide as I can see fitting in the swingarm, as it barely slides in. The 150 also hits the backside of the silencer. I spaced the silencer out about 3/4" for clearance.