Sign in to follow this  

What exactly is over-revving?

Okay so i have a CRF250R and i race 125 novice, second year of racing, first year on a 250 and i was wondering what exactly is considered over revving? Because i dont think i ever go full throttle in any gear as fear of blowing up my engine. But when im not riding i think to myself that over revving is holding it WFO in a low gear for a substantial amount of time. So like it is alright to hold the bike WFO in say like third or fourth as long as its not for too long right?

over-revving is keeping the bike on the rev-limiter for, (in my opinion, 5 seconds or more).

over rev refers to the amount of HP the motor makes after peak HP , if the motor feels like it needs to be shifted to the next gear to have power it doesn't have alot of over rev , but if it feels like it pulls hard up to the rev limiter it has alot of over rev :thumbsup:

over-revving is keeping the bike on the rev-limiter for, (in my opinion, 5 seconds or more).

:thumbsup: and this is the other def. of over revving

hey don't worry about it you bike is made to be ridding wide open and if your racin novice then you defiantly need to get over that fear you won't hurt you bike unless your stupid about it and hold it in 3rd for 30 seconds after you know you need to shift you don't need to worry about blowin your bike up by riding it hard mine and 05 iv had it since December and have lots of hours on it and i ride the hell out of the thing just keep up routine maintenance and you will be fine

&%$#@! u never ride at full throttle???????????/ dude dont worry about it if anything you will hit the rev limiter which will let you know you need to shift

Over rev can refer to the amount of usable power and RPM available above the power peak. Over rev can also refer to just plain revving the engine too high. Commonly, the valve train in a 4-stroke is the first victim of over rev as the valve springs can't keep the valves under control which leads to varying levels of damage. Generally, if you're revving the engine under it's own power, the rev limiter will keep you out of immediate danger, but you may need to rebuild more often. The most damaging way to over rev 4-strokes is to downshift in the air and then allow the rear tire to spin the engine past the rev limiter when you land. That can break things quickly.

you bike is made to be ridding wide open and if your racin novice then you defiantly need to get over that fear you won't hurt you bike unless your stupid about it and hold it in 3rd for 30 seconds after you know you need to shift you don't need to worry about blowin your bike up by riding it hard

:thumbsup::ride::cry:

Spoken by someone who doesn't have to worry about the bill for fixing it when it blows up.

Yes, overreving is a slow death on your sled. Shift when your need to. It's better (for the life of your motor) to shift too soon than too late.

And, 7 months of riding is not a long time. If you've been dogging it for a few years, then you can give advice about long term abuse.

Dont worry about over revving definitions. Just shift your bike the sec before it hits the rev limiter. But do rev it all the way out. Dont short shift

Dont worry about over revving definitions. Just shift your bike the sec before it hits the rev limiter. But do rev it all the way out. Dont short shift

I don't agree with that! You should short shift it, the power begins to level off long before the rev limiter kicks in on a dyno. The rev limiter is a safety valve so you don't just keep holding it on. If you didn't have a rev limiter it would most likley blow up if you kept reving it out. These motors make awesome torque when shifted correctly, next time you do a jump that you would normally do in third, try to click fourth, you will probably over shoot it. The torque is what keeps the tire hooking up. The high revs sound better but don't perform as good as lower rpm torque. :thumbsup: