Sign in to follow this  

Plating a bike in AZ?

How difficult is it to get a license plate for a "offroad use only" dirt bike in AZ?

Thanks, Russ.

Get a street plate it's easy and you don't have to worry about cops...an offroad plate just requires MSO or title, street-legal is the same. Our MVD doesn't inspect, the law says that is up to police officers...only equipment required is: Headlight, brake/tail/license light, left-side mirror, and a horn audible for 500 feet. A squeeze-bulb bicycle horn is sufficient... I still haven't gotten around to installing a horn. No turn sigs required unless the vehicle was equipped with them originally. No emissions check the 1st 5 years of a vehicles life...even 2-smokes fet a plate.

Therefore, it just makes sense to go with street-legeal, unless the reg fees are too much for you...I think the 1st time was ~$100 for my 03 450f.

i took my 600 to the MVD and they wanted to see the number on the original exhaust... I dont have it.. So then they wanted to test it.. I never went back and i just keep riding... I will go back though...I have a mirror, a squeeze horn and tail light and headlight.. The lady wanted the emissions # off the pipe. No one on earth knows what the hell she was talking about... She spoke about 2 words of english also.. I think ill go back and let them try to test it , its a brand new engine.. I know it will pass. Most people have said that when you go to the test facility they look at it and just send you on your way.. How the heck do all those guys get those loud as hell custom choppers licensed anyways...???

The original exhaust law only applies to new bikes, and I've never seen a "number" on an exhaust. The original exhaust might get you out of an emissions test.

You'll note that if they allow an emissions test as a substitute for OEM exhaust, then the law already is moot.

Your bike will pass with ease, and then you wont care if you see a sheriff.

The load of crap just goes on....

It's usually easy to plate in AZ. I just did my XR650R a few months back with no hassles. Had to sign some form saying I would make it street legal. No inspections, no emissions because of age and showed some proof of insurance. I also just did a ktm 65 sx for a buddy in NM (mini Motard) and they did not even want me to sign any forms. Just gave me a plate and made me pay. When I titled my KX250f out here (bought in CA), they almost gave me a street plate until I said I didn't want it. If you ever have problems at the DMV, like I used to in Callifornia, just go back and get helped by someone else. If you come across an idiot who likes to make up the legal requirements as they go, just to seem knowledgable, going to a different employee makes all the difference usually. In the case of your 600, go back again, maybe even to a different branch and it should be pretty easy. There should not be any questions about your exhaust, that's just some clueless inspection fartknocker talking through their butt. Good Luck :thumbsup:

so it doesnt matter if the title says " for off road use only"?