Sign in to follow this  

What kind of Toyhauler are you pulling .........

I'm looking at buying a Tundra 2x cab limited. What I want to know is:

What kind of toy-haulers are some of you guys pulling with your tundra (pop-up TH, hybrid TH, or regular light weight TH)?????

I don't have a TH yet but, plan on getting one in the future I just want to know what some of my options are.

Thanks

I had a Tundra, and upgraded to an Avalanche 1500 w/ 4.10 gears b/c I was unhappy w/ how stressed the Tundra felt towing just a 16' Pace enclosed trailer. Now hauling an '18 Tahoe TH, and it handles it OK. Any bigger, and I'd prob. want to look into a diesel 3/4 ton.

I think you are going to have a tough time finding a TH of any type light enough to tow with your Toyota....you will find a few which start out light, but by the time the weight gets real, and you add just 2 bikes its getting heavy fast...

Heres a new model that has a GVWR of only 6500lbs..

Small trailer, outside deck for bikes...

It's not a true TH, but might just fit the bill for what you need and what you can tow...

I think you are going to have a tough time finding a TH of any type light enough to tow with your Toyota....you will find a few which start out light, but by the time the weight gets real, and you add just 2 bikes its getting heavy fast...

It's not a true TH, but might just fit the bill for what you need and what you can tow...

That might work. Anyone else have any suggestions?

You may be able to get away with this unit:

WW SX 1800

It's got a GVWR of about 6500 lbs, but this might be pushing things a bit for the Tundra....What is the tow rating of the truck you are looking at?

don't buy the toyota.. you need a mans truck if your going to get a toy hauler.

Actually......no I don't but, thank you for telling me what I need. :thumbsup:

The suggestions I've received have all been good.

I've been looking an have found several others that might also fit the bill. I'm not looking for a huge TH. I just want something that my family and I can use for camping and not be limited to large sites only because the TH is too long. A lot of the roads we travel to go camping can't handle a long trailer anyway (narrow and curvy).

Keep the light weight TH suggestion coming. :ride:

Wakerider13,

I know what you meant, I was just having some fun with you. I really, don't want a 3/4 ton truck and a long TH. If for no other reason the ride of the truck. I will be driving it for work (sales) as well as for camping.

Trust me on this...Tundras just aren't good hauling trucks. I loved mine, ex. when I hitched something to it. It didn't even tow my Pace 16' trailer very well, so any kind of TH was out of the question.

Don't believe tow ratings and weights...truck mfgs. and TH mfgs. both exaggerate in the wrong direction.

If a good ride is important to you, the Avalanche is impossible to beat for a pickup.

Avalanche if you want a car like ride, ability to take 5 adults comfortably with the ability to tow.

My dad and mom couldn't deal with the ride of my 3/4 ton ford but they couldn't stand the "sketchy" feeling thet were getting towing with their Toyota so they bought an 05 avalanche and couldn't be happier.

We are now looking at getting the wife one in case I'm gone and she wants to take the trailer and kids out.

I would put serious thought into the Avalanche.

The max tow capacity of a vehicle is as much a component of being able to support the weight and pull the weight as it is to stop the weight. starting and stopping are usually where it gets bad if you are right at the max.

Also when looking at trailers don't forget that most mfgrs give the weight of the trailer without accessories, fluids and of course your cargo. So 20 gallons of gas, 50 gallons of water, 2-4 bikes and all the gear, tables, pop-ups etc can add 1500lbs in a hurry! lotsa guys don't carry much when they tow because of this.

One of my riding buddies has one of these. I think it's a bad idea unless you have a pretty good tow vehicle.

The BIG problem with these units is the tongue weight may vary drastically depending on how you have it loaded. A weight distributing hitch is absolutely required.

If you look at the picture, the deck is on the front. Two dirt bikes may weigh 600lbs. Two quads may very well weigh up to 1500 lbs, a 900 lb difference. I don't know why none of these units have the living quarters in the center with the loading decks at each end versus all of the load on the front.

The other down side is the axles are located so far back it makes for a wide turning radius.

The other down side is the axles are located so far back it makes for a wide turning radius.

But further back adds stability....of course towing this type of trailer requiers a WD hitch. There are very few perfect solutions, most things are some sort of compromise.

Get a real truck. Look under your Tundra...notice the tiny rear end, radiator, driveshaft, etc. TH's need real trucks they are heavy.

I would like to tow a TH, but I'm not going to "kill" my truck with one. Most TH's are beyond what a 1/2 ton truck should be towing, my Titan has a 9500lb. tow rating, but do I need to max it out every time I camp?

I'm looking a a light mid sized TT and will just haul my bike in the bed.

Mike,

If you geta Tundra tow up to it's max. the rating is there for a reason. The engineers are capable (and liable) of making the determination of what is safe. If the TH GVWR is under the Max tow rating (and GCWR) of the tundra you are good to go. Get the extended warranty and drive that Tundra into the ground. When the warranty is up get a new truck. I think te uvw of the 18-ft thor Th (Wanderer Wagin/Tahoe) is less than 4500lbs. It does have the front pop-out though. They have a 19-ft all hard side. Carson Funrunner has a 16-ft model that you can order stripped to stay under 4000lb UVW. Go to www.rv.net . there is a toy hauler forum and a list of every manufacturer with links to their sites. Those guys on there are definately weight police, but do the math and be happy traveling at 30mph up the steepest grades and at the max weight rating. Give me a call or PM and we can discuss. I did months of research before I purchased and I know what the numbers need to say. The tundra is a s good a 1/2 ton that is out there. That 4.7L motor puts out as much HP as the 5.3 and 5.4L Chevy and Ford. Torque curves are different, but like I said who wants to keep a truck that has been hauling toy haulers all over the sierras for ever. Get a new one when it wears out.

Mike,

If you geta Tundra tow up to it's max. the rating is there for a reason. The engineers are capable (and liable) of making the determination of what is safe. If the TH GVWR is under the Max tow rating (and GCWR) of the tundra you are good to go.

There's a HUGE difference between what's safe to tow and what's comfortable. Towing a big load over long distances while the engine is struggling and constantly downshifting doesn't make for a relaxing getaway IMO. I like to go no more than 75-80% of max towing weight for an enjoyable towing experience.

I've thought about it, and have come to this conclusion:

1. 1/2 pickups aren't made for hauling, what most of you "think" a TH is (24' to 40' and heavy).

2. I'm only looking for a small/light TH and after looking, there are plenty of options that fit my need.

3, I'm not too worried about working my truck hard (or "killing" my truck as someone said) I've had two other Toyota's and put 150k on each and have max out (according to specs.) both on a regular basis. Granted I wasn't setting any speed records but, then again I was on vaction so I wasn't in a hurry anyway.

That being said: I bought an 06 Tundra double cab 4x4 limited (at cost...it helps to know the "right" people) this weekend.

Sorry, no pictures yet.

Damone,

Do you ever sleep?? I'll get in touch with you, when I start looking more seriously. Also, thanks for the web site RV.net or whatever it was, it was helpful.

That truck is a nice upgrade from the 4runner. A friend of mine towed a 21-ft TT w/ slide with no problem.. I was towing my hauler w/ a Duramax and he was never slower than I drove and I had power to go faster. In the hills were you frequent the curves keep the speed down more than the hills do.

Mike,

New truck for a TH?

Did the snow and rain and cold on Memorial day get to tghe wife or something, lol.

Our friends that were with us that weekend (Steve, Julie, Scotty and Ashley went out on the wednesday after they got home and purchased a cabover. Julie told Steve he would be camping alone if they didn't get a cabover before the next trip which was planned two weeks after Memorial Day.