What kind of Toyhauler are you pulling .........

I've towed with any number of vehicles ranging from passenger cars to a 2.8 l Bronco II, to my F-150 and now a F-250 with 6.0 l diesel.

You simply have to respect the limits of the tow vehicle. If you have a modest tow vehicle, limit yourself to a modest trailer.

I have several friends with Tundras, and I think that they are really nice trucks in their class. My wife had a 4-Runner and the Tundra is definitely a step up from that in towing capacity.

One of my friends with a Tundra has already been through this whole scenario before. He wanted to get a toyhauler and shopped around for the smallest lightest thing he could find but ultimately, once he added up all the weights he couldn't find a scenario where he could tow the desired amount of toys, his family, and the extra weight of the toyhauler and not be over weight.

Still that's not to say people don't do it. Every weekend in the fall through spring I see overloaded trucks with a$$es sagging all the way to the desert. Occasionally you also see the aftermath of what was most likely an overloaded or over driven truck/SUV and trailer combo that was claimed by one of the California mountain roads.

Best of luck in your search.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you one of the guys who says, it isn't what you have its what you do with it? There is no " male member compensation" here buying a HD truck. Its just common sense for towing, especially when its carrying my family at highway speeds.

I was commenting on the pissing match going on. "1/2T can't tow crap blah, blah, blah my 3/4T diesel will tow anything, comfy too"

I had an expedition bought a toy hauler, it overloaded my Expedition (8 adults in the Expedition put it over it's GVWR). Bought an Excursion to pull it. That diesel pulled like no other. It was in the shop 9 times in 1.5yrs and now I am back with a gasser. I am towing at my limits and looking to sell the toy hauelr (too heavy to be comfy, but is safe) to buy a regualr TT. I know exactly what I am allowed (by ratings) to tow and I will not tow more than that.

Exactly as Husky-71 states. With a modest truck pull a modest trailer. One of my first replies was to "do the math". Just because you buy a 2500HD or even an F350 doesn't mean you are not overloaded. I see more 3/4T trucks on the road that are overloaded than 1/2T that are overloaded.

If I am towing at my max rating than I do not expect the truck to last 15 years. Drive the truck into the ground and get a new one. That's what I go to work for, to get what I want and need.

As far as towing at the max rating (there is no excuse for being overloaded), the engineers that design and are liable (can be held accountable in a court of law) for determining the ratings know what they are doing. They do not inflate the ratings. The rating is what the truck can safely (when it comes to legality that # is legal and determined safe) tow w/o safety issues. Tow at the max because it is safe based on design. It might not be comfy, it might not save your pocket book (gas and breakdowns), but it is safe. The drivers might not be safe, but the truck is. By design. By engineers. Now go one step further and go over the ratings (determined safe by design) and you have an unsafe and illegal vehicle on the road. Put that togteher with a crowd (motorheads) that love speed and it is a dissaster waiting to happen.

Now when it comes to toyhaulers they are heavy, but the GVWR of the Titan 16-Ft Toy Hauler would not put any 1/2T (Maybe the Honda)on the market today over it's ratings.

Exactly as Husky-71 states. With a modest truck pull a modest trailer. One of my first replies was to "do the math". Just because you buy a 2500HD or even an F350 doesn't mean you are not overloaded. I see more 3/4T trucks on the road that are overloaded than 1/2T that are overloaded.

Excellent point. I did not mean to imply a diesel can tow anything. I see these 40' 5th wheel monsters people tow and they are OVERLOADED. If they don't know it they should, and I hope they don't find out the hard way.

Not sure but your TT might be able to pull this. You might have to get a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars. And dont forget the brake controller.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/radioflyer_1905_91634 ?

Boy!, I didn't see THAT coming...... That was hysterical !!!!! I'm rolling over here........................................you're killing me................................................:ride:?

:ride::ride::crazy::ride::busted::busted::busted::ride::eek::eek::crazy::crazy::crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

Look around and you can find a TH that will suit your needs and fit within you Tundras towing capacity. Try the STARCRAFT line. I have the RT13 pop-up with a 4x8 deck on the front. Started towing this with a Nissan Frontier have recently went to a 06 Trailblazer. The Frontier did OK, but the Trailblazer is much better.

Check out: http://www.starcraftrv.com/starcraft_folding_campers/index.html