Sign in to follow this  

Need some help in breaking my lil' thumpettes bad habit....

... tonight we went riding, and as we rolled around our little track, :ride: I noticed that as my daughter shifts up she stands up and then sits back down. This is something new she just started. I moved the shifter up a bit so she wouldn't hang it up....I did this, this spring so this isn't a new change. I am stumped, :thumbsup: I feel that this isn't a good thing, is it???

Oh she rides a KLX110, do you guys think it could be because it an "auto"???

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time and answers...

you migh wanna put the shifter back to where it was at first and this time when she shifts tell her to bring her whole leg up when she shifts up and not to just click up her foot.

is your daughter old enough to comprehend

that she is totally in control while standing, mostly while sitting but vulnerable in transition

that this half-standing will exhaust her a lot quicker than standing?

let her do a dry run standing on a log and keep kicking this log

do you have a level little loop you can let her practice shifting while sitting and shifting while standing, tell her to shift with her knee and hip, pivoting her foot around the footpeg when standing

She's standing to change up? Sounds like she either thinks she can't push the lever up when sitting, or she really can't. I'm picturing that as she stands up she's hooking her foot/toes under the lever & using the force of her moving into the stand position to click it.

While she probably should be standing all the time (or most of it), if she's happier sitting, you need to take a bit of time to check she can move the lever (and show her she can).

I've always been a sit down rider and when I first started making myself stand, I couldn't change gear standing, so would sit & then stand back up. I now rarely sit and what I've noticed is the two young girls & their mum that I ride with are standing most of the time too now. With the girls, I've set them challenges to stand all the way around a short trail & then extended it from there (only did that one day & now see it's become more natural for all of us to stand).

But do check the lever, maybe it is too hard for her to change without standing up.

Good luck

Good suggestions and could you add a reward for standing the whole way around? For such a little punkin, something to motivate her might be helpful.

Did you recently get her a new pair of boots? If so, they may be too stiff to rotate at the ankle and click the shifter up.

If not, I'd try to teach her to ride in the "up" position more, as she has better control and can shift her weight easier in the standing position. I'm trying to get our 10 yr old thumpette to get her butt off the seat more, she seems to think its a chair, not a bike!