Sign in to follow this  

big bore kit installation

im gonna install a 262 kit in my wr fairly soon, and i was wondering if its easier to swap out the cylinders with the engine in the bike or take the whole engine out to install the kit.

It is always easier to take the engine out to work on it, but the question is will you do it or not?

If you are the type of person who can take an engine out of a frame in 10 minutes, then go for it. It's not neccesary, but it will make the job easier.

Doug

I'd say it's way easier to do it in the frame... that way you don't have to take off nearly as much stuff. Even when I split the cases before, I'd always removed the head and cylinder, then pull the bottom end out of the frame. Just seemed easier that way to me.

I'd say it's way easier to do it in the frame... that way you don't have to take off nearly as much stuff. Even when I split the cases before, I'd always removed the head and cylinder, then pull the bottom end out of the frame. Just seemed easier that way to me.

I agree, there's no need to remove the engine. When I did my big bore I didn't even consider removing the engine. You'll find there's more than enough room to maneuver with the engine still in the bike.

I agree, there's no need to remove the engine. When I did my big bore I didn't even consider removing the engine. You'll find there's more than enough room to maneuver with the engine still in the bike.

Im with red1boy,,why would anyone even consider pulling the motor, :thumbsup:

i agree, in the frame=easier. i did the same thing to my yz250f. i was wondering tho, is the 290 also just a cylinder change, or does that require work on the bottom end as far as stroke goes.

i agree, in the frame=easier. i did the same thing to my yz250f. i was wondering tho, is the 290 also just a cylinder change, or does that require work on the bottom end as far as stroke goes.

Athena 290 is cylinder and piston, no bottom end work required. Some guys like to install a new/stronger crank to cope with the extra cc's, I didn't bother.

i didn't think so, whats a good clutch to go with the greater tourque?

Stock clutch is working great for me, I don't race though, only woods.

I use a stock WRF clutch but with YZF springs. Bike makes lotsa power and it copes well.