Sign in to follow this  

new topend

i just got a new top end. and i have heard some people say to put the piston in the cylinder with no oil on the cylinder wall or rings. should i do this?

I did my wife's that way. The theory is with no oil, the ring will seat better and you won't burn oil. That's why I did because the bike was burning a lot of oil. Since I did it the bike hasn't burned oil so there must be something to it. There have been studies done on it and you'll probably find some who say you shouldn't do it and some, like me, who've had a good experience by assemblying the top end dry. You should lube up the cams with some assembly lube or oil if you don't have any assembly lube.

so installing the piston dry will help, and not harm anything?

so installing the piston dry will help, and not harm anything?

after honing the cylinder ( which you must do )

you must really clean the bore and the piston and rings with hot soap and water and then brake cleaner and wiped with a towel until it is all very very as clean as it can be ,

then install the rings and piston into the cylinder all dry and turn the motor over 50- 60 times all dry to help seat the rings ,---then you add your 18 oz of motor oil and get it stink hot and ride it like you stole it , :thumbsup:

and the thing will run better , have better power and the combustion chamber will stay dry :ride:

What kind of hone should I use? So I install the piston and then the head, and the rest of the engine, then fill it with oil start the engine for a second just to make sure it will stat, and then bring it to the track and do one warm up lap and then rie it like u racen?

take the coolant out of the bike. start it up and once the cylinder gets hot shut it off. then add your coolant and ride it really hard. thats what the pros do.

this is probably a stupid question, but if you bought a new piston and rings, all you would need to do is clean the bore right? or is there something you need to clean off the piston and rings also when new? :thumbsup: