Sign in to follow this  

KYB Shock Piston Band Installation at the Factory

Hi. How in the world does Kayaba get the shock piston bands on the pistons in one whole piece?!

I have seen the Race Tech shock Gold Valve video, so I am familiar with that method, but if anyone can tell me about how the OEM bands are installed, that would be great.

Thank you VERY much! :thumbsup:

The bands are pressed on. You used to be able to buy the replacement bands as well as the installation tool from Honda. The job was easier if you heated the band in boiling water first.

Hi. Thank you very much for the information.

Would you happen to know the part number for the tool?

Do you know if it is no longer available for sale to individuals or if it is just no longer avilable at all?

I thought about dipping one in boiling water, but was afraid of the (bottom of the cooking pot) temperature. I figured the boiling water was not as hot as a shock getting a thorough workout. I just did it like the one on the Race Tech video. Is that an acceptable method?

Thank you.

HONDA65, thank you very much for the information. I called them and asked about it. He measured it, and it was for 46mm pistons. I am needing one for the older 44mm pistons (earlier KX), so I will have to keep looking. That at least gives me an idea of what to look for.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Like Terry said (good to see ya on here Terry) the warm water will help. Down here in FL I just set them in the sun for a minute or 2 then dip them in the shock oil (or use some seal grease) and then set it in the groove while taking both thumbs just work it around untill it snaps into place.

doc

Boo tough to install piston bands.

Hooray Terry and shockdoc!

Thanks for the information, shockdoc. I will try it again when it is time for the next piston band.