Sign in to follow this  

trailer load distribution

I have a 7x12 foot utility trailer. I want to haul my dirt bikes as well as my street bikes. I want to mount chocks to make it easier to load and unload by myself.

Should I mount the chocks to the front.

Or, should I mount the chocks so that the bikes are centered over the axle? Or maybe just a little forward of the axle?

Aren't trailers designed so that the it weights the hitch a little more anyway? I have 3 bikes, total weight will be about 250lbs each, 750lbs total.

Can someone educate me on some simple trailer loading tips so that I can distribute the weight correctly?

Thanks

You need to factor the weight of the trailer plus all the gear. You want to have roughly between 10-15% of the entire load (including the trailer) on the ball.

Honestly, there are formulas that help, but accurate scales for the vehicle, the tongue, and the axles are needed. And, then, if the load changes, the distribution points change. For example, I have a 28' Classic tandem axle trailer. The axles are positioned approximately 2/3 back from the tongue. The best pulling-(no swaying) that I have had puts more weight to the rear, over the axles. Sometimes, if I put 4 -5 gal cans back another 1 foot, the trailer pulls better. Has to do with the long tongue-(distance from the hitch point to the front axle). So, trial and error worked the best for me.

A trailer that light will tow better with 15 -20% of it's gvw for tongue weight, as the trailers get heavier the percentage goes down a bit but never below 10%.

What are you towing it with? I'd personally put the chocks up front but then again I tow with a f350 superduty so tongue weight is inconsequential to me as long as there is enough of it.

Go with what 10guy says, better off placing more weight on the tongue, makes the trailer less likely to wander.

Ron W.