Sign in to follow this  

How do you polish up the ignition/clutch covers?

Looking through the garage, I have noticed that a lot of people have polished up their magnesium ignition and clutch covers.

They look much better like that than when the paint is half rubbed off them, so I thought i might do it to my bike.

I am just wondering what you guys used to do it and how you did it. It seems to me that it could get difficult in the indentations where the bolts go.

Don't bother. It's too much of a PITA to keep nice. Do what I did. Get a set of Lightspeed carbon fiber wraps. They are about $45 each. After each wash just spray them with some SC-1 and they look like new! :thumbsup:

i did it to mine and its to much work to keep them shiny so i just rubbed it with a scotchbrite pad and now its more of a silver gray color

i did mine and i am very happy with them i also got a extra clutch cover that i polished and sprayed with some car clear coat that i'll sell if u want pm me or id u just want to do ur own pm me and i will tell you how to do it

i did mine and i am very happy with them i also got a extra clutch cover that i polished and sprayed with some car clear coat that i'll sell if u want pm me or id u just want to do ur own pm me and i will tell you how to do it

I had a look in your garage and they looked mean :thumbsup:

I live in New Zealand, so buying your spare would not be practical, and I would rather do my own one anyway.

So if you don't mind, could you please tell me how to do it and what you used to do it (the whole process, from cleaning the paint of it).

And what does pm mean?

all u do it sand sand sand sand sand until it turns shiny....start with a real coarse paper like 60 and keep getting finer papers like 60-120-200-400-600-800-1200 and then just sand ALOT and itll turn silver then you just put some polish on a rag and polish it and itlll get shiny..it takes a while and its not worth it

well you gotta take the paint off with a paint remover which you can buy at a auto shop. i sprayed the stuff on and then took a wire brush to it to make takin the paint off easier. then like nofear said do the sand paper thing but i started with 400 cuz i didnt have big scratches in it but if your cover had big scratches u might wanna start with the 60. and make sure you wet sand it every time. u can go finer than 1200 but i dont think its necessary. after that get some mothers mad and aluminum polish and then get a soft cloth and then polish it up in circular motions. after that it should look like a mirror. and if u dont want it to get dull try to put a few coats of clear on it. i havent tried it but i am sure it will work when i change my oil and buy a gasket for the clutch cover i am gonna try out the one that has the clear painted on it. i used car clear coat out of a spray can that you can also buy at a auto parts store. let me know if this helps and good luck :thumbsup:

if you have a bench grinder just buy a polishing wheel and some compound and then paint remover,,,,strait to the buffer ....after about 5 minutes of buffing it's shinny as chrome and to keep it shinny just use some mothers polish on after cleaning or spray it with clear coat

My KX has a chrome clutch cover, i rubbed it back with 140 wet and dry, then 600 then 1200, then buffed it chrome on the lathe.

Regret it somthn shocking!!!! Rust Rust Rust, slightest sign of salt, and its rooted...

Id steer away from that idea..

????? RUST ...what are the clutch covers made of on the kx's ? i was thinking aluminum or magnesium like the hondas

no is magnesium if you look on the inside you will see a Mg stamp on there

oh is it? lol my bad then, but yeh anyway, its corroded, and now i need to sand it back again, and buff it chrome again...

just spray it with some clear coat for cars(u can buy it from any auto parts store) and that should stop the corroding

yeah i would put like 2 or 3 coats and then apply it again after you think you have worn it off

I would have thought that you would only need to do one coat of that clear stuff, because it would be unlikely to corrode where your boot is always rubbing.

I had actually already started sanding the paint off when I started this thread, so I might finish it abd get some of that cleare coat stuff.

Thanks for your helop. :thumbsup:

I recently polished my clutch cover. I just got some 400 then 800 wet and dry onto it to remove the paint and scratches. take the caver off and get all the paint off from around that bolt areas this took me a good hour. Now highly polished surfaces on dirtbikes are not practical at all so I went for a matt finish like what cr frames look like. all I done was get a scotch brite pad and rubbed it down in sraight one way motions. Then I got some wd-40 onto it to protect if from the elemets ext. If you want to keep it looking good you gona go over it qucikely with the scotch brite after every ride mainly becuase you boots rub on it.