Sign in to follow this  

Best bike for enduro racing

I know that is a loaded question with 10k answers but I would like some feedback on what you feel is a great enduro racing bike and why.2t or 4t what brand and why you think that bike is the best choice.Not looking for brand loyalty here good useable reasons why to look in a certain direction.Currently have a Yz 426 with lights and tail light.Thanks

I would say that one very good enduro bike is the 2005 KTM 250 EXC 2 stroke. This bike is very light, flickable and has a lot of torque. It is very easy to ride and won´t tire you out. You can ride it very long and it can be lugged. It also has good power and you can fine tune it with the different power valve springs. I would definetely buy a 2 stroke for enduro racing, you have the advantage of the weight, these bikes are a lot lighter than any 4 stroke.

Your right about the 10K answers. So here's a few questions to ask yourself to narrow the possiblities down.

Whats your riding style? Are you better adapted to 2 or 4 stroke power?

Where are your enduro races? Fast west stuff, tight east stuff?

How big are you? You might not be a big enough guy to ride a 450, 80 miles hard, and load it up.

Do any companies offer a contingency program for your particular enduro circuit?

Is there a particular dealer with which you like to deal with? May want to stick with that brand if you've got a great dealer helping you out.

What kind of budget do you keep for racing? 4 strokes cost a little more in the short term and will probably need a more expensive top end at the end of the season.

---

For me, I'm short, so big bores were out of the question. I went around to a few dealers and checked out the 250F's. None really tripped my trigger except the Yamaha. When I went to the dealer and asked what they could do for me, they basically said "we'll help you load the bike if you buy it." No deals. So I went down the road to the KTM shop and looked at the 250 SXF and the 200 XC. I had just came off Honda CRF250X and knew that I really like the 4 stroke power, but wanted something lighter with a bit more power. I had ridden a 200SX a little earlier and wasn't all that impressed with it, for my style it just felt like more work to go fast on it.

I left with the 250SXF in my truck, with a good deal from the dealer who didn't know me from you when I walked in.

I'm a big believer in the bring what you have in the garage, whether it is a 03' CRF230 or 80's XR500 or 06' KTM525EXC. Go for it!!! Go ride some events and you will develop likes/dislikes really quick, but you will be having fun and enjoying our sport while you are at it...and you will gain some insight about yourself and the bike.

I would definately go with a 250 2 stroke for enduro , i would also suggest a 250exc, or my favorite a Yz250.

I'm a big believer in the bring what you have in the garage, whether it is a 03' CRF230 or 80's XR500 or 06' KTM525EXC. Go for it!!! Go ride some events and you will develop likes/dislikes really quick, but you will be having fun and enjoying our sport while you are at it...and you will gain some insight about yourself and the bike.

Best post yet. Figure out what you don't like about the 426 then go from there.

I have enduro'd on both two stroke and four stroke, and would definatly say two strokes are a pain in the ass after about 3 hours. you've got the perfect bike for this already! 426's are a brilliant bike and they are mega reliable. there light, easey to work with and have enough squirt for any enduro. Love what vyou have my friend!! :thumbsup:

IMO a 200 2 stroke is almost perfect for the tight stuff. A KTM 200 exc has something like 38 Hp, how much more do you need?

Well i did my first enduro a National enduro "Loose Moose" in the U.P. of Michigan.This past Sunday had a great time got 6th in C senior.My bike ran great all day.I love the 4 stroke power,bike does feel a little heavy but I have no problem horseing it around 200lbs with gear.I was just thinking lite would be better.I was dead tired afterward but pretty sure I would have been that tired riding a pit bike.The enduro's in Michigan there is a sea of orange bikes.I'm not a follow the flock kind on guy so I have been looking at other bikes Gas Gas ,Yz 250,Wr 450.In Mi. we have to be street legal so that makes bike choice a little more difficult unless you want to sink a chunk of change to make it legal.I've never spent much time on a 2 stroke so don't really know if I would like that or not.Just looking for some pros and cons about enduro bikes.Thanks

Husky and ktm will both have plated bikes in 07.

Please at least look at the Husky - very easy to work on, and very "a lot of things".

I'm just moving up from "C" to "B" after one full season of about 7 enduros.

I own a Yamaha WR400 and a Husky Wr250 2smoke.

I prefer the 2 stroke in the tight woods around here.

The 4 stroke is better in the open.

If you go 4 stroke make sure you get e-start.

Stalling and kicking a 4 stroke is a PITA.

Any bike is the best bike for enduro's if you have it set up correctly. Depending on how much you want to spend look into the 07 ktm's, They are coming with

e-starts (including the 450 sx) but the biggest thing is that they are introducing a whole line of bikes specificaly set up for offroad two and four stroke. I ride a honda but ktm gets my vote, guess you know what bike i am going to buy next.

I dont know where you all are at, but my bike of choice for anything that i do is my good ol' trust 96 XR600R. Then again i'm 6'3" tall and I weigh in at 245lbs. to.

I bought an 04 crf 450 a year ago. Sold it a month ago. I now own an 06 yz 250. I coud not have made a better choice. Two-strokes are lighter. They will start much easier. Think of this for a minute. When you are sitting on the line doing a dead engine start and then have two hours of racing, do you want something that will start in a snap or something that will take several kicks to start? I know my answer was that I wanted something that would start on the first kick. I also like the lack of engine braking that is found on a 2-stroke. I also like the gyroscopic effect that a 2-stroke has compared to that of a 4-stroke. If your nose begins to dive, the two stroke will bring it up much easier and sooner than the 4-stroke ever will. I also like the fact that the two stroke will never have a catastrophic engine failure due to the valves. Another point that made the case for me was the cooling and engine temp of the bike. My 450 would ALWAYS overheat when I was going through technical stuff. I have never seen one of my 2-strokes overheat. I was able to go to the track and ride a handful of different bikes from the different people that I know there. I have ridden an 06 crf 250, an 05 crf 250x and an 04 yz 250f. The 250 two stroke was far and away the best choice that I could have made.