Sign in to follow this  

Recommendation on boots?

As I sit here with an air cast on my sprained ankle I'm thinking that maybe riding with the leather work boots instead of a good pair of MX boots wasn't one of my best ideas. Keeping focused on the future and not the past, I'm wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction of a decent pair of boots. I'm still getting over the shell shock of sticker prices on new MX boots. Wow. No wonder I haven't purchased any yet.

If you are a cheap arse like me... Iron Pony has the Fly Talons on sale for 100 bucks. They have the removable footie and everything. I'm sure they aren't as nice as the higher end boots, but I sure like mine now that they are broke in. [i know my wallet does.]

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/productPagedetails.asp/ImageName/flytalonbootbl.jpg/Kitkey2/CLOSEOUT%20TALON%20BOOT/Brand/FLY/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Boots-Adult/Class1/DIRT%20PRODUCTS

Doubt the link works, but if you search around on their site you should be able to find them.

Let's think this through...You already have an injured ankle because you weren't wearing the correct type of boot while riding....and now you want to buy some cheap boots to protect your ankle ???

Time to admit you need some Gaerne SG-10's...They will last you for years and protect you properly in the mean time.

I've always been of the impression that some of the cheaper boots may lack features, comfort and longevity... but should do a decent enough job of protecting you in a crash. Of course, this is mearly speculation on my part. I can't imagine what more an Alipinestar could do to protect me than the Fly Talons could do... but I'd be willing to listen.

If you appreciate water resistance like I do, you might considere Diadora Stone2.

Another vote for the Gaerne SG-10. I went with a cheap boot at first, Oneal Elements for $79. I thought it was a decent boot until I had a bad crash, better than leather work boots, but not by much.

Let's think this through...You already have an injured ankle because you weren't wearing the correct type of boot while riding....and now you want to buy some cheap boots to protect your ankle ???

Time to admit you need some Gaerne SG-10's...They will last you for years and protect you properly in the mean time.

Huffster is right. I love my SG-10's. Good Boot.

Why does a large sum of money equate to a good boot? :thumbsup:

I mean just look at helmets. A DOT or SNELL approved $150 one passes the same tests the $500 Arai or Shoei ones do. The extra $$ is what one pays for the name and the paint job (maybe some small weight savings also).

What is wrong with say Alpinestar Tech 5 or ARC mx220v boots?

Check ebay for MX boots. I just picked up a pair of Alpinestars Tech 6 boots that were very lightly used for $86. These boots retail for over $250. These boots offer good protection, Italian build quality, and are very comfortable for MX boots.

I have owned Alpinestars tech6 for a few years now, they hold up well and have done a wonderful job. I recently purchased a new pair of Gaerne SG-10's. They are super comfortable and have been awesome. I thought my Tech6's were nice but these things blow them away. I say go with SG-10's, but if you don't wanna spend that then get Tech6's or teh new Gaerne Fastback.

My feet/legs take enough of a beating as it is, I don't think I want to test the "any boot will work" theory on them. Someone else buy a pair of really cheap boots and let us know how they work :thumbsup:

I have a wide foot and a high volume toe box and the Gaerne SG-10s fit wonderfully. The Tech 8s and 10s were too tight.

I have forma pros and wouldnt recommend them. I have no arch so normally need a wide boot and the formas seemed very narrow for me. I wouldnt have purchased them personally but the dealer threw in a pair to sweeten the deal on my bike.

More expensive doesn't always mean better. Just 99% of the time. I'm sure Bob and Fred's motorcycle gear makes a fine Snell approved helmet. I think I'll trust my brain with Shoei who does 100 times the R&D to ensure greater safety and not just produce the bare minimum to just pass.

Plus they fit better and look better.

I have actually heard good things about the ARC boots. I think they are a SIDI knock off. Good boots will last a long time so choose wisely and make sure they fit properly(Try them on). Fit is just as important as the brand.

I do like the opinions on fit that have come up on this thread. I have a wide foot with a narrow heel and have had issues in the past because of it. The boots I'm currently using are tech-6's, I tried the tech-8's but they felt tighter in the ball of the foot.

I'll have to try out the sg10's next, good thing I'm about due for a pair of boots. Keep the fit assessments coming :thumbsup: