Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 Reliability 05 vs 06

I came across a site last night that noted some issues with the 2005 YZ125.

http://www.he-ja.nl/

click the link at the top of the page for tuninginfo and then the sublink he-ha-tips, then click the British flag to get it in english.

There seems to be some issues such as clutch basket, power valves and a few other motor related failures according to this link which I found on everything 2stroke. A guy on everything 2stroke snapped a powervalve also.

I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of any issues with the 05's, and if the 06's have been improved for reliability in any way. That motor is so light, and new, it has me a little worried. Dam internet has a way of giving to much info sometimes.

I'm not trying to start a panic. I'm ready to buy a new 06 and don't want any surprises. Looking for feedback on 06 reliability.

Thanks,

KH

Hey 05 and 06 owners,

Just looking for some basic feedback on reliability so I can buy one and not be worried.

My 03 is bulletproof and I'm hoping this is the case with the new motor.

You don't even have to pay attention to the above link. Just looking for owners with some real hours on the 05/06 YZ125.

Thanks in advance!

KH

I own a 2005 yz125...Check my garage, the only thing I have had go wrong with the bike is that it blew a crank on me...The plastic counter-balancers on it blew apart and seized my bike up...Other than that the bike is awesome and hasn' given me any other problems.

So far no problems with my '06 and it's been a good solid year on it now plus it's a YZ 144!

Thanks for the input!

I should have my new 06 in about a week.

My 03 YZ125 has been flawless. The 06 performance should be awsome! :thumbsup:

KH

Dude your gonna love it I know I do !! If ya took one spin on my eric modded 144 your bike wouldn't be a 125 much longer. :thumbsup:

Dude your gonna love it I know I do !! If ya took one spin on my eric modded 144 your bike wouldn't be a 125 much longer. :thumbsup:

Cool!!

Is that the Eric Gorr kit? How long have you had the kit in? It sounds tempting! Again, reliability is my concern, I'm guessing if you do the top end every 20-30 hours it's fine. Gaskets are holding up well as far as no leaks? Does that kit use a Wisco piston?

I was riding the 03 YZ125 today between 8,000 and 11,000ft. It's amazing how well that thing runs up there bone stock with 1 tooth less up front. The only other mod I did was I put a 2000 YZ125 carb on it, 36mm, jetted for that altitude, which helps for the tight stuff. It handles really well too with stock valving. Just misc. guards and fresh rubber.

Can't wait for the 06!!

KH

i bought a brand new 2005 yz 125 left over and only rode it for 2 months and the skirt of the pistion just broke off i olny had to replace the pistion it cost 300 dollors to fix it but yamaha payed $100 of it

Yea I meant to say eric gorr modded, It's been a 144 since january it's been just as reliable as stock has been. I ride it often nearly every weekend the last top end after 40 hrs I just re-ringed it the piston was fine. I've put another 10 hrs on it since then but i'm gonna replace the whole top end again soon. I was only getting like 40 hrs out of my stock top end anyways and the 144 top end doesn't cost anymore.

Yea I'm not as worried about blowing it up now that Athena has thier complete 144 kit hot rods now finally has a complete crank avil also.

I loved it stock but this 144 is gonna be like prying it from my cold dead hands right now. I hope KTM's 144 makes yamaha come out with one, it's bout the only thing thats gonna get me to sell it now.

Yea I'm not as worried about blowing it up now that Athena has thier complete 144 kit hot rods now finally has a complete crank avil also.

Is the Athena kit simply a bolt on deal, or is there some machine work to be done to the power valve and cases? Do you know where to get one, and how much $? I'm pretty sure I will be needing one of those things...

Yeaooo One track,

You better get the 167!!

Bryce said he would pick up the new bikes with his Van in NE if the carrier takes much longer.

Actually that 144 is tempting! I bet Yamaha comes out with a GTYR 144 kit next year.

Let's ride soon!

KH

Yeaooo One track,

You better get the 167!!

Bryce said he would pick up the new bikes with his Van in NE if the carrier takes much longer.

Actually that 144 is tempting! I bet Yamaha comes out with a GTYR 144 kit next year.

Let's ride soon!

KH

The 144 should do it, as long as I can keep it down to one frozen pizza per night. :thumbsup: The 167 sounds like it will be too spendy. Of course, that has never stopped me before...

Pray for rain. :ride:

P.S. Tell Bryce I'm all over that idea.

Also, I ordered three motion-pro frok tools, I hope he wants one...

First off race gas may or may not be required it depends on how you get your's modded. I believe the Athena Kit is a bolt on kit no case mod's especially since Wiseco has a 144 piston that doesn't require case mod's.

When I had Gorr do my kit he used one of his 144 spec pistons which did require case mod's cause it wasn't specifically designed for the YZ's bottom end. All it was, was some clearance machining so I had to send the motor in but no cases spliting needed. Yes I could put it right back to stock with OEM parts (but why?!!)

Wiseco's new 4mm YZ 144 piston is a copy of Gorr's just designed to go with the YZ's bottom end/ center cases. The Athena Kit is based on this design also. If you had eric gorr mod you a 144 you could have head mod's for race gas (higher compression) or have it setup to run on pump gas! Run his piston or run the wiseco piston your choice. I went with his piston it's a few grams lighter so I've heard over the wiseco.

He reopen's his shop again in like sept I had no problem getting pistons from him and they cost no more then stock thier the same price!! It costed me $485 when I had it done the Athena kit like $750 but it's everything in one.

My 144 with this setup gorr bored/replated it pv mod's/ported it for mid/top race gas head mod's vforce v3 fmf factory fatty n shorty with 14/48 gearing. Make like 38 peak hp to the rear wheel now smoother torquier just more of everything plus the fact it pulls the taller gearing no problem just makes its overall top speed faster, less clutching cause it will pull it's self out of the bottom onto the pipe much easier.

You just go one step further if you want an stroke the crank 2 mm's longer and you got like a YZ 155 aka RPM's 167 at like a fraction of RPM's cost. RPM isn't even the same guy anymore it's maxx power now under thier name or something it's weak not for no 2 grand!

Besides stroking it I heard kills on the over rev the 144 took a tiny bit of that away but it's not that noticable just at the very very top of the rev range when you should of shifted 10 seconds ago type of thing. Stroking it works better for more bottom/mid I'm not gonna stroke mine it's to much pain in the ass getting new cranks.