Sign in to follow this  

E85 on a TTR????

I was watching the news and i heard E85... i have a 2005 ttr125L... will E85 work on that. if so will there be any performce changes? good or bad?

:thumbsup::ride::cry::ride::ride::crazy::ride::busted::busted:

like the ethanal fuel?? that is a lower octane fuel..i have no idea about that but i think id stick with regualr gas...if thats what your talkin about..if not i have no idea what your talkin about :thumbsup:

the ethanal fuel im sorry i forgot to but that up there.

gas in a ttr isnt gona make that much of a performance boost...if its modded and you run race fuel you might notice a difference but if anything i think that ethanol would be worse than gasoline :thumbsup:

Doesn't ethonal have more oxygen which makes it burn better????

For my two cents worth, here are several reasons NOT to use E85 in your motorcycle:

1. Ethanol is mildly acidic, and therefore corrosive. Flex-fuel vehicles that can burn gasoline or E85 are specially modified to handle the ethanol. They usually have stainless steel or teflon-lined gas tanks, fuel lines, etc. While E85 probably wouldn't hurt a plastic tank or viton fuel line, I doubt it would be good for your carb.

2. Because of the extra oxygen in E85 (due to the ethanol), it's going to burn differently. Cars deal with this by having the fuel injector control chip add less air during injection when E85 is used as the fuel. This isn't an option for your bike, obviously. You could probably set up your jetting for E85, though I wouldn't even know where to start, but then you'd have trouble running straight gas.

3. While ethanol is technically a higher-octane fuel (in the sense that it is less prone to detonation than gasoline), it only has about two-thirds the energy per unit volume that gasoline does. This means two-thirds lower mileage, and therefore less range out of a 2 or 3 gallon tank.

Here's a link to ethanol.org that talks about ethanol, E85 and other related topics: http://www.ethanol.org/FAQs.htm

For my two cents worth, here are several reasons NOT to use E85 in your motorcycle:

1. Ethanol is mildly acidic, and therefore corrosive. Flex-fuel vehicles that can burn gasoline or E85 are specially modified to handle the ethanol. They usually have stainless steel or teflon-lined gas tanks, fuel lines, etc. While E85 probably wouldn't hurt a plastic tank or viton fuel line, I doubt it would be good for your carb.

2. Because of the extra oxygen in E85 (due to the ethanol), it's going to burn differently. Cars deal with this by having the fuel injector control chip add less air during injection when E85 is used as the fuel. This isn't an option for your bike, obviously. You could probably set up your jetting for E85, though I wouldn't even know where to start, but then you'd have trouble running straight gas.

3. While ethanol is technically a higher-octane fuel (in the sense that it is less prone to detonation than gasoline), it only has about two-thirds the energy per unit volume that gasoline does. This means two-thirds lower mileage, and therefore less range out of a 2 or 3 gallon tank.

Here's a link to ethanol.org that talks about ethanol, E85 and other related topics: http://www.ethanol.org/FAQs.htm

lol u did your homework!!!! good info i didnt know hardly any of that.