Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF 250R Forks

My 04 CRF 250R forks seem extremely hard. The guy I bought if off told me they had just been serviced. I dont think its as simple as easing off the comp/rebound settings. Anybody got any ideas?? Anybody had similar problems?? Thanks, Brian.

Compression damping is quite heavy. It needs a revalve. Lessening the height of the low speed stack on the compression valve, and adding gap (to about 1.2mm) to the compression float at the midvalve, as well using a lower oil level in the airchamber will make the fork much less harsh.

It may be as simple as putting the front wheel on correctly. I know when I had first got my 250 way back when I didnt know anything I ended up putting the wheel on wrong and it made the front end hard as a rock!

It may be as simple as putting the front wheel on correctly. I know when I had first got my 250 way back when I didnt know anything I ended up putting the wheel on wrong and it made the front end hard as a rock!

That's a really good point. I see it happen all the time. People tighten down the front wheel while the bike is on the stand and the forks bind. Take the bike off the stand and compress the forks a few times before tightening them.

How heavy was the guy that you bought the bike from? I would check the oil level. Set everything back to stock specs and go from there.

I thought I had a midstroke harshness problem and loosened up the forks a couple of clicks. It got a little better but was still a bit harsh. I read this, went in the garage, loosened the axle nut, bounced the bike a few times and retorqued the axle. Wow, I feel kinda dumb that something that simple fixed my "problem". After the first moto last night, went back up two clicks and all is good.