Sign in to follow this  

Symptoms of an over-oiled air filter?

I'm curious what symptoms you would get from an over-oiled air filter. I don't know if I have been over-oiling the air filter but maybe I have. :ride:

I installed a clean/oiled air filter in the other day but I believe I used less oil than usual and the bike seemed to run better. I usually clean the air filter, let it air dry for a day, and then use Maxima filter oil. I put the filter in a large zip-lock and work the oil into the filter so that all parts are evenly coated. The filter isn't dripping but I have noticed that some oil will collect near the bottom of the filter a week or so after I install it. You can just see the oil is more concentrated near the bottom as if too much oil was used. When I last installed the filter the only difference was I put it in between a few paper towels and then squeezed out the excess oil.

Was I using too much oil, and how would this make the bike run? :thumbsup:

Indeed if you over oil your filter you will be choking the motor down a little. Although you will see oil dripping out of your air box if it is way over oiled. If I were you, I would get some latex gloves and after you oil it, squeeze it out real hard. This will give you a nice thin coat of oil. If you ride in real dusty conditions I recomend just leaving it heavily saturated. Although I do mostly paved roads so I just oil my filter down and squeeze the crap out of it leaving just enough oil to keep the filter wet. Indeed they do probably breath a little easier without a drenched filter. Cheers

A properly oiled filter takes very little oil - after you soak in the plastic bag, you should squeeze as much oil out of the filter as possible. That's all that is needed - if you can see oil pooling in the bottom of the filter, you've got too much oil. In theory, too much oil results in liquid oil plugging some of the pores in the filter, thereby reducing airflow and possibly causing a slightly richer mixture. I've never done dyno runs to see if it really affects performance, but some say it does.

You want to see the effects of an over oiled filter or over filling the bikes oil capacity?

valve.jpg

That was one of my intake valves at 5000 miles on my stock S motor. You know how much power that sucks from your motor? It ran so much better after I got all that crap off the valves.

Your valves should NEVER look like that.

That is a classic case right there. My mistake. Oh well wont happen again.

You want to see the effects of an over oiled filter or over filling the bikes oil capacity?

Was it the over oiled filter or too much oil in the engine....combination? How over-filled was the engine Nate? :thumbsup:

if the filter isnt allowed to sit for 24 hours before the engine being run the oil can be sucked out of the filter and into to air jets.

makes the bike run really rcih.

the "carriers" in theoil need to evaporate off.

if the filter isnt allowed to sit for 24 hours before the engine being run the oil can be sucked out of the filter and into to air jets.

makes the bike run really rcih.

the "carriers" in theoil need to evaporate off.

Damn.....I was told to wait an hour and then install-n-ride. :thumbsup:

So while the filter is sitting for the 24 hours can it be in a plastic bag?? I was oiling my filters the night before, putting them in a plastic bag and installing them the next morning when I got to the trail.

If you use motor oil instead of that stuff in a spray can, you can use the filter immediately. There aren't any "carriers" to evaporate in motor oil, and letting it sit won't change anything.

This is a reason to NEVER use motor oil. A filter oil will get much more tacky and not fling off the filter into your engine.

Damn.....I was told to wait an hour and then install-n-ride. :thumbsup:

So while the filter is sitting for the 24 hours can it be in a plastic bag?? I was oiling my filters the night before, putting them in a plastic bag and installing them the next morning when I got to the trail.

has to be out in the air.

Damn.....I was told to wait an hour and then install-n-ride. :cry:

air dry

If you use motor oil instead of that stuff in a spray can, you can use the filter immediately. There aren't any "carriers" to evaporate in motor oil, and letting it sit won't change anything.

it also won't protect your engine like air filter oil will :ride:

The advice to use latex gloves and squeeze out as much as possible is correct, and then let it sit for a bit :thumbsup:

Was it the over oiled filter or too much oil in the engine....combination? How over-filled was the engine Nate? :ride:
Well I know it was over filled once by at least a quart for a short amount of time..... so oil could have flowed through the crank breather back into the airboot (S airboot at the time).

Thats why I recommend you yank that hose out of the airboot and cap it off. So the crank breather vents to atmosphere like it should. :cry:

But I definitely was over oiling my filter the first couple times I cleaned it. When I tore it down there was tacky tracks of air filter oil leading into the carb. Just a learning curve thing. First bike. I've come a long ways. :thumbsup:

I use motor oil on my filter as well then I use vaseline to seal off the filter. I'm not very convinced about "air filter oil". I think it's just another way to get in your pockets. We've been using motor oil on our filters for many years and haven't had any problems with any bike for over 40 years. I clean it often especially after removing the snorkel.

Thanks for the replies...yeah I agree the Maxima oil I use is super tacky and no motor oil is going to work like that stuff. :ride:

Is the wait time the same for just the bottled air filter oils....non aerosol I mean? I was doing the same as Sundog and just dropping the filter in a big zip-lock after the oiling job. I will air dry them for 24 hr. from now on though. I always use latex gloves when I do it because it's so much easier and less messy. :thumbsup:

has to be out in the air.
air dry

Well sheepsh$t.....looks like I have been doing it all wrong then. :ride:

So my new procedure will be:

Clean filter and let filter dry over night

Oil filter, squeeze excess oil out (if any) and let filter sit 24 hours

Place filter in a plastic bag for future use

CORRECT???

So...in other words I am already too late to oil up a clean filter (when I get home) for a ride tomorrow. :cry: The filter already in is dirty, but not excessively. What is the lesser of two evils at this point?

Nate: Was that valve crap caused by excessive filter oil or excessive engine oil (in engine)? Did you have any other symptoms?? Ex. If it was excessive filter oil did you plug any jets??? :thumbsup:

Is the wait time the same for just the bottled air filter oils....non aerosol I mean? I was doing the same as Sundog and just dropping the filter in a big zip-lock after the oiling job.

Great question!!

I use motor oil on my filter as well then I use vaseline to seal off the filter. I'm not very convinced about "air filter oil". I think it's just another way to get in your pockets. We've been using motor oil on our filters for many years and haven't had any problems with any bike for over 40 years. I clean it often especially after removing the snorkel.

Amen. Glad you said it instead of me. It's also what the owners manual recommends.

I use 90W gear oil on my chain, too. Flame on.

This is a reason to NEVER use motor oil. A filter oil will get much more tacky and not fling off the filter into your engine.

But even if it flings off the filter, the small amount of motor oil you get into the engine will not hurt anything. A normal engine allows a certain amount of oil past the rings during operation - that small amount is 10,000 times more than what you'll see from the filter. It does no harm.

Thanks for the replies...yeah I agree the Maxima oil I use is super tacky and no motor oil is going to work like that stuff. :cry:

Is the wait time the same for just the bottled air filter oils....non aerosol I mean? I was doing the same as Sundog and just dropping the filter in a big zip-lock after the oiling job. I will air dry them for 24 hr. from now on though. I always use latex gloves when I do it because it's so much easier and less messy. :ride:

All air filter oils have a solvent that needs to evaporate off, that is why you should wait to install them.

Gloves are an excellent idea for many jobs on the bike.

Clean filter and let filter dry over night

Oil filter, squeeze excess oil out (if any) and let filter sit 24 hours

Place filter in a plastic bag for future use

CORRECT???

Pretty much what I do :thumbsup:

So...in other words I am already too late to oil up a clean filter (when I get home) for a ride tomorrow. The filter already in is dirty, but not excessively. What is the lesser of two evils at this point?

If the current filter is really dirty then I'd go ahead and oil up a clean filter and let it sit out overnight and then install just before your ride. Just make sure you really wring out any excess oil.

Amen. Glad you said it instead of me. It's also what the owners manual recommends.

I use 90W gear oil on my chain, too. Flame on.

Owners manual for what bike???? Not the klx400r, on page 37 of mine it specifically states to use air filter oil.

Those who use a product not designed for the purpose run the risk of damaging their engine, I certainly hope no one takes your recommendation seriously and then rides in a dusty environment.

If the current filter is really dirty then I'd go ahead and oil up a clean filter and let it sit out overnight and then install just before your ride. Just make sure you really wring out any excess oil.

Thanks for the response. :thumbsup: I have been using latex gloves and have gotten to the point whnen oiling where the entire filter (inside and out) has visible PJ1 on it (I also work it in) and I either don't have any excess to squeeze off or there may be 1 or 2 drops.