Sign in to follow this  

Canadians looking for Utah trail recommendations.

There is a small group of us looking to come down to Utah at the end of September for 5 or 6 days of dual-sport riding. We’re from Vancouver Island, British Columbia. We were thinking of setting up a base camp in Moab, but are open to suggestion of other places to set up, or perhaps move to a different area part way though the week. We’ll have at least a truck and camper with a tent or two. Bikes will be street legal DRZ 400, DR 650 and/or KLR 650. We have years of asphalt experience and ride at about the intermediate level off road (of course some are much better). We have topo GPS maps as well.

The last trip we did was to Death Valley in the spring. That was a great trip. If you are interested we wrote it up here:

http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/forum11/1827.html

So to sum up, does anyone have any recommendations of areas to ride, trails to ride, must see spots? Places to avoid? Books or maps to buy?

Thanks a lot for your help. We know local recommendations make a huge difference, instead of trying to find the nice rides from only a map.

:thumbsup:

Consider Whites Wash Area. It is about 30 miles or 45 klicks to the northwest of moab. :thumbsup: Go to Motoutah.com for more info and don't forget to visit USA-ALL.com Post some more details when your trip is nearer and you may even get some local guides. Happy Trails, FnShan

Do you have a date that your thinking of? There are some easy but VERY beautiful DS'g if you choose to do Moab to Gateway (CO.) by way of the La Sal mtns. There is a great deal of DS riding in this area so more info on what you're looking for may help get you what you want North, East, South, and West of Moab. I did a DS from Grand Junction, CO to Gateway to Moab and back to Grand Junction. Alittle over 270 miles, 10 hours, all back roads or 4WD stuff. Or you could enter "ruxtonnoble.com" and check out his travels, may give you a good idea of what's around. He has alot of photos and stories. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of heading there at the end of September for about 5 - 6 days of riding once we arrive.

Good scenery, medium singletrack and interesting dirt/gravel roads is what we are looking for, although I tend to have quite a bit of fun on tight twisty asphalt as well.

Great web site, thanks!

I live in St. George and i spent about a week this summer on the Arizona strip.

It is th area sandwiched between Utah and the grand canyon. Lots of roads out to the north rim of the grand canyon. A specific spot called "Tuweep" (google it) you can see down to the Colorado river. It's a pretty fun trip on graded dirt. Its actually in Arizona about 1 1/2 hours south of the Utah border one way (on bikes of course ). Then on the way back head over Mt. Trumble for some pondorosa and cooler temps.

This is a great scenery ride packed with historic sites and not to many people. No Service stations for miles. So take plenty of supplies.

Don't forget to do Canyon Lands both north and south of the river and the WhiteRim Trail. Here's a couple of other links:

http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm

http://www.4x4now.com

BEWARE: Some of these are serious, bad@ss trails! Do your homework and have a good idea of what you're getting into before you jump on one and end up in trouble . A loop around Top of the World is highly recommended, but Rose Garden Hill (to complete a loop) maybe a challenge. :thumbsup: