Sign in to follow this  

Denver or Colorado Springs ?

Life in general, proximity to riding areas and tracks, traffic, other recreational activities. We moved to a ranch in Trinidad and the wife is wanting the city life again. There really are no MX tracks or trails here so I am not going to cry to bad. We have it down to those two cities and I was hoping some locals could sway me.

In my opinion I would say Denver is the place to be.As far as tracks go you have Watkins,Lakewood,Erie and Berthoud all within a 25-45 minute drive.Colorado Springs only has two tracks,Aztec and Wildrat and Wildrat is only open on race days.As far as trails go I'm not really sure because I only ride tracks unless I go up to Grand Junction,but Rampart is close to Denver and there is alot of area up there to go explore.

Denver will probably have more traffic than the Springs,being on I-25 at 6:30 am going towards Downtown will piss you off!

There is just more to do in Denver and most every thing is closer.There are alot of good fishing spots,you have the Broncos,Nuggets,Rockies,gambling in Blackhawk,alot of great golf courses,decent dove and Pheasant hunting with in a 2-3 hour drive,the mountains and ski slopes,there just is really alot of cool stuff to do here in Denver.

So 2 for denver, 0 for Springs? I would have betted the other way. Any other takers?

I for one have to say the Springs. For several reasons. It Aztec five minutes from Peterson Air Force Base. We are just as close to Rampart as Denver is. We also have 717 an hour away. There is Rainbow falls near 717 as well. Closer the Springs we have trails off of Mt Herman and Rampart Range. Just behind the Broadmoore, we have some pretty technical singletrack called Captain Jacks. You should see the Manitou Springs area in early July. I have yet to actually watch any of the vehicles summit the Peak, but the sight of all the buggies and the trophy trucks in the same are is awe inspring. Just like Denver, we have gambling near by. Hour and a half away is Cripple Creek. Ski resorts are a little farther than Denver is, they are usually around 2 and a half hours away from the Springs. But on a plus side, you do not have to deal with I-70 which with an accident could turn an hour drive in a 5 hour drive. Another plus is that yes, we are a city but not as large of a city. There is also a good amount of other recreation to do here in the Springs. There is just as much mountain biking and hiking as there is riding. Our night life isn't as happening as Denver's but we still have around 20 night clubs I believe. Job opportunity is abundant in this city as well. We have five different military bases, three hospitals with more on the way, several large tech companies and a booming construction growth. Not sure where it is ranked right now, but El Paso county used to be the fastest growing county in the state. And construction cetainly has not slowed down. Ir you check Money Magazines site you will notice that Colorado Springs was recently rated as the best city in America with population in excess of 300,000 people. Was Denver?

Bottom line is this, which city is home of America's Mountain? The same peice of rock that inspired America the beautiful.

Denver, the traffic and tons of people everywhere are the only drawbacks in my book.

Look into the outskirts of Denver, much more open and much nicer.

"

Re: Denver or Colorado Springs ?

I for one have to say the Springs. For several reasons. It Aztec five minutes from Peterson Air Force Base. We are just as close to Rampart as Denver is. We also have 717 an hour away. There is Rainbow falls near 717 as well. Closer the Springs we have trails off of Mt Herman and Rampart Range. Just behind the Broadmoore, we have some pretty technical singletrack called Captain Jacks. You should see the Manitou Springs area in early July. I have yet to actually watch any of the vehicles summit the Peak, but the sight of all the buggies and the trophy trucks in the same are is awe inspring. Just like Denver, we have gambling near by. Hour and a half away is Cripple Creek. Ski resorts are a little farther than Denver is, they are usually around 2 and a half hours away from the Springs. But on a plus side, you do not have to deal with I-70 which with an accident could turn an hour drive in a 5 hour drive. Another plus is that yes, we are a city but not as large of a city. There is also a good amount of other recreation to do here in the Springs. There is just as much mountain biking and hiking as there is riding. Our night life isn't as happening as Denver's but we still have around 20 night clubs I believe. Job opportunity is abundant in this city as well. We have five different military bases, three hospitals with more on the way, several large tech companies and a booming construction growth. Not sure where it is ranked right now, but El Paso county used to be the fastest growing county in the state. And construction cetainly has not slowed down. Ir you check Money Magazines site you will notice that Colorado Springs was recently rated as the best city in America with population in excess of 300,000 people. Was Denver?

Bottom line is this, which city is home of America's Mountain? The same peice of rock that inspired America the beautiful."

Thanks 602. That is what I want to hear. I had no idea about Capt Jacks being so close. We ate at the Broadmore last week and i like the Springs. How is Aztec? Anyone else?

602 has some good points, and I would have to agree with just about all of them (the "America's Mountain" thing was a little much :thumbsup: ). I guarantee that we have closer riding in the Springs than in Denver. I live on the West side of the Springs and can be on the trails in 5-10 minutes and it takes me about 15 minutes to get to the track at Aztec (a pretty good track in my opinion). Its true that we do not have an abundance of choices for tracks here but the trails more than make up for it. I guess its all about what you are into.

If you like the big city life, by all means go to Denver - the Springs will disappoint you if thats the case. If you are a small(er) town person at heart then the Springs may be a better fit for you.

Just my $.02 .

Simply put...Like others have stated, Denver if you want a LARGE city, if you want what is somewhat still a small town, the Springs is the place to be. Concerts in the park in the summer, ridding 10 minutes away for either the mountain bike or the cycle. 45 minute drive away from gold medal fly fishing grounds and the mountains in your backyard always beckoning you to come play. We left the Springs several years ago for a better job, well we are back now and have refused to leave again. We grew up in this area and for sure will never leave here again!

The view of Pikes Peak from the city far exceeds anything Denver has to offer. Denver also has that disgusting brown cloud hanging over it for most of the winter.

Also note that Rampart Range Road, which leads to tons of trails, is on the edge of the city vs from Denver you have to drive to Sedalia to access it, some 25 miles away from the center of Denver.

Wow. The Wall Street Journal just had a good write up about Colorado Springs as the best place to live along with Money magazine. Anybody else here like Denver better and why, please. So far we are leaning towards the Springs. Anybody ridding Capt. Jacks this weekend or other Springs areas? I want to come up and check it out.

Whatever you do, find a job and home that are very close to each other, ideally something that does not require getting on a freeway. You'll take years off your life commuting very far because the traffic is horrendous in either place and will sap the spirit right out of your life. If your commute is longer than 10-15 minutes, the quality and quantity of your life will be diminished. This is the simplest thing to do when you move to a new place and the most important.

I agree. That is why I run an internet business from home. I moved to a 17000 acre ranch and I think I went a bit overboard. I was so sick of the big city. But I am craving some good MX tracks, trails and civilization.

If I were to move back to Colorado it would be to the western slope.