Sign in to follow this  

rev limiter/governor??

hey all, FNG here....am now the happy owner of a 2004 xr400r, yeah! i'm learning how to ride and trying to figure out when to shift and how high i should be revving the engine. a friend said that my bike has a rev limiter that will prevent me from revving the engine too high and i shouldn't worry about damaging the engine. is this the case? so far i've just been trying to shift up when it feels like increasing the throttle doesn't really give much more power, but with a grand total of 4.5 hours on a dirtbike (or motorcycle of any kind), i admit i don't know squat...any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

:thumbsup:

Welcome!

Yes,the XR has a rev limiter. It retards spark advance to keep from over-revving. Power falls off around 8500 RPM and thats where to upshift.

Due to the nature of the power that the XR puts out, you'll probably never hit the rev limiter. I ride hard, and I havent ever touched it. The power just falls off, and wants a shift, before you come close to the actual limit. No reason to rev it further.