Sign in to follow this  

So Ripped!!!

I guess im here mostly to vent. I have a 99 Dr650 which apparently kicked back and caused the grenade issue. Which ended up cracking the inner casin. The mechanic i take it to basically told me it will probably be cheaper to purchase a used engine and drop it in rather than replacing the cases and the labor involved with that. I am just seeking a little advice. Where can i get a engine and any other tips would be appreciated. I can only begin to explain how pissed i am after owning the bike less than 6 months.

After looking two sets of photos of gernades, I would have to try to build up the case and remachine it. If it failed Owell, but success would be sweet.

Dang that is a Bee ooutchh....

Well I guess now is a good time to build a

STROKER DR

BigBoreKitMini.JPG

The gear failure is a known issue with 98 and early 99's. I am surprised that you did not know of this problem and had the chance to change the parts BEFORE they failed.

I would do a internet search for someone parting out a low mileage bike, and keep looking until you find one. After the used engine is installed, and the bike is running fine, I would sell the broken engine for parts to recover some of your expense. You may make more money if you dissassemble the engine first. With a little luck, your final costs should be much less than a repair.

DBM

Thanks to Thumpertalk, I replaced my solid starter gear in two weeks of buying my 98. Only took the time to confirm that mine was 51 units before the change to the slip gear - got it from Jesse.