Sign in to follow this  

05' yzf250 hesitation

I live in evergreen CO @ 8,000ft. and ride 8k to 13k in elevation. Anyway, the bike runs great until I go up a decent incline, lower rpms, light to medium throttle- all it wants to do is spit, sputter and only bogs out when I give it any throttle. The only way it runs up an incline is at high rpms, the bike acts like it has no low or mid range power. any advise is welcome.

main @ 170

pilot @ 45

needle @ 3rd postion from top

-the only non-stock part is a yoshimura slip-on pipe.

Try the 2nd from the top on the needle. That's where mine's at. Other than that our jetting looks to be the same. I don't have any issues with hill climbs until I hit about 11,500 ft but I'm not exactly up that high very often. Usually around 8500-9500ft.

45 Pilot?

There's a lot of people who run that a much lower altitude. Personally, it was way too fat for mine. I run a 40PJ @ 600' ASL.

your main jet is WAY too rich

I run a 162 around Rampart range. Recently riding at Georgia Pass and around Breckenridge (up to 13,000') it is a dog. I read a post in the jetting forum recently for Colorado Mountains use a 155 main...... It wouldn't surprise me if it worked.

IMO it sounds like your bike is running rich,. a common problem for high altitudes. I would drop the PJ to #40 or even a #38, raise your needle clip to the second position from the top. The combination of a smaller PJ and raising your needle clip (lowering your needle) will lean out your jetting from idle to approximately 1/2 throttle. See how your bike runs, I would also try dropping your main jet to a #168.