Sign in to follow this  

Broken Kick Start Shaft 2006 TC450

I was wondering if anyone who had a shop manual(or has done this) could tell me what I need to do to replace this shaft.

The part is being replaced by Husqvarna with a re-designed 2007 part(less brittle I hope). If I could get a digital copy of the pages it would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I remove and install it right.I searched, but only found threads about adding Kit for 2004,2005 in Archive.

I am hoping it can be relaced by removing clutch cover and basket.

Thanx

Cole

The 04, 05, kick shaft cant be that much different to the 06. And i would of thought that all you have to do is remove the clutch basket nothing Else that really needs taking off. hope this is a little bit of help Ricky

Mine did the same. Broke in case. Dealer replaced free of charge. Procedure is the same as previous years.

Mine did the same. Broke in case. Dealer replaced free of charge. Procedure is the same as previous years.

It's Fixed. :ride: I just used the schematic from the parts manual (downloaded from Husky site) to remind me how to put it back together :crazy: . The shaft snapped where the groove is for the retaining clip. Clip was still in place as well as the gear, spring etc.

Apparently Husky overtempered the 2006 shafts and the replacement has been redesigned and tested (I hope it's better :cry: ).

It sucked having to get an ATV tow me through rocks, swamp, courdoury logs etc after it broke. I was working the Enduro test at the World Enduro Championship in Parry Sound, Ontario when it broke. Bike backfired, kicked back on my boot and that was it . Would have sucked worse if I was in the race though.Helped one of the racers(one of our Canadian guys) start his TC 250 and he told me he had to take a shaft out of another bike (TE) the day before the race to fix his. After that mine broke (Jinx). I tried bumping it, to ride out but the gear was engaged and made the sound that you would hear if you hold the kicker down when it's running, so I didn't want to do any further damage. :ride:

Oh well, I know how to replace it now, Dealer got me the part and was open till 4 on a Saturday (few bike shops around here stay open beyond noon on Saturdays) so I could pick it up :ride:

If you've got a 2006 TC it might be a good idea to replace that part so you don't lose a race or get stuck in the bush :thumbsup: .

Cole

I went one step further then that..... I installed the optional e-start .

I went one step further then that..... I installed the optional e-start .

For a while there I thought I was the only one that this happened to!!!

My dealer was great (Upstate Cycle) and basically insisted on installed the e-start if I wanted it or not (along with the new shaft). It happened the same way as most by back firing with your boot on the kick lever as you try to start it.

Now, I cannot imagine owning another Husky with out an e-start. Sometimes I'll go out to my garage late in the evening with no shoes and just push the button to hear it start. It always brings a smile to my face.

It's Fixed. :ride: I just used the schematic from the parts manual (downloaded from Husky site) to remind me how to put it back together :crazy: . The shaft snapped where the groove is for the retaining clip. Clip was still in place as well as the gear, spring etc.

Apparently Husky overtempered the 2006 shafts and the replacement has been redesigned and tested (I hope it's better :cry: ).

It sucked having to get an ATV tow me through rocks, swamp, courdoury logs etc after it broke. I was working the Enduro test at the World Enduro Championship in Parry Sound, Ontario when it broke. Bike backfired, kicked back on my boot and that was it . Would have sucked worse if I was in the race though.Helped one of the racers(one of our Canadian guys) start his TC 250 and he told me he had to take a shaft out of another bike (TE) the day before the race to fix his. After that mine broke (Jinx). I tried bumping it, to ride out but the gear was engaged and made the sound that you would hear if you hold the kicker down when it's running, so I didn't want to do any further damage. :ride:

Oh well, I know how to replace it now, Dealer got me the part and was open till 4 on a Saturday (few bike shops around here stay open beyond noon on Saturdays) so I could pick it up :ride:

If you've got a 2006 TC it might be a good idea to replace that part so you don't lose a race or get stuck in the bush :thumbsup: .

Cole

Nice that they have corrected the heat treat problem, this has gone on for years with certain models having a cronic failure due to a batch of heat treated parts missing spec, 05 KTM estart gears etc.

Anyway when you say your bike backfired when starting, makes me wonder if the valves are adjusted a little loose? If the exhaust valves are slightly loose the auto decompressor is deactivated and this will lead to breaking stuff from shafts to feet to cases. Go in there are check your valves before you run it again!