Sign in to follow this  

What's a good packed lunch?

Hi. I'm trying to figure out some packed lunches for my husband to take to work with him (to save some dough on the lunch outings). I've thought of a few ideas, but was wondering if anyone here has any good 'packable' lunch recipes or ideas (for a grown man) that you wouldn't mind sharing.

Any suggestions, ideas, recipes, etc welcome!!

Dawn :thumbsup:

I'm pretty simple, but I like pimento cheese and spinach on wheat bread. Best easy sandwich ever. That or the classic PB&J. I'm a sandwich guy I guess.

Does he have any way to heat food at his workplace? Microwave, toaster oven, etc.?

*Turkey or any meat sandwhiches

*Tuna.. add onions, relish, jalapenos, mayo, and whatever else

*Egg salad sandwhich

*Whatever meat you cooked the night before and make it into a good sandwhich or throw it into a salad mixture

*Have a pizza night but order it extra big so theres leftovers for lunches the next day

*PB&J

Tuna/Ckicken Salad on a bed of greens or the same with sandwiches. My wife puts a tri-tip roast in the croak pot, that night for dinner I get orast beef and the next day I get roast beef sandwich of roast beef and vegetable for lunch. BBQ chicken works great to, you can eat it a whole pieces, make chicken salad or shread it and serve with vegetables. I am not big on sandwich's so chicken and veggies in throw away or reusable tupperware works great. Meat loaf also is a good for lunch and dinner options.

Hi. I'm trying to figure out some packed lunches for my husband to take to work with him (to save some dough on the lunch outings). I've thought of a few ideas, but was wondering if anyone here has any good 'packable' lunch recipes or ideas (for a grown man) that you wouldn't mind sharing.

Any suggestions, ideas, recipes, etc welcome!!

Dawn :thumbsup:

Tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. Bologna and cheese, turkey n cheese, etc.

I like to pack hard boiled eggs.

On sandwiches, instead of iceburg lettuce, I use either fresh spinich or alfalpha sprouts. Nice and crunchy like lettuce, but actually has some nutricianal value.

Chicken salad sandwich is real good with a thin layer of crunchy peanut butter on one side of the bread.

If you want to be a real health nut, you can make a tofu salad for sandwiches and add all kinds of stuff to it...cashews, raisins, cut up dates, etc.

For an afternoon snack type thing, cut up cheese and a pack of crackers....or cut up fruit of he'll eat it. Morning snacks can be the assorted varietys of granola and breakfast bars.

If he has access to a microwave, he can have dinner leftovers for lunch. I suggest using left overs from two days before so he doens't feel like he's eating the same thing he had 12 hours before.

I suggest getting a couple of the reusable plastic thingies made especially for sandwiches. They just work tons better then zip lock baggies.

I still have these lunch sets that Tupperware made YEARS ago. They had a sammich container, a salad container and a little container to keep the dressing separate. I've had ours for 15+ years and they have been all over the place.

peace,

janette

Campbell's makes big "Soup Bowls" - microable Firehouse Chili, Portobello mushroom, Chicken and sausage gumbo etc. My wife gives me a stash to keep at work and they go with any sandwhich for lunch or as a good snack.

Also have a box of poptarts and some granola bars. We always keep the extra cracker packs they give with your salad at restaurants. Sam's club sells bulk boxes of the individual packs too.

If no micro, you can get a stainless steel soup thermos, for around 5$, one with a wide opening. Pour boiling water in it while you are warming up soup then replace water with soup when hot. Should stay warm until lunch. Soup makes everything taste better and it's a "hot" meal on a cold day.

Pre-cook some Johnsonville brats or hot dogs and keep in thermos with hot water. (same prep as with soup) Pack buns and condiment packs from McD's in bag or lunchbox to add flavor flavor. If you can find relish, sauer kraut otr onion packs, thy will make a dog into a Stadium Dog! Any time you can find tabasco packs or mini bottles like you get in MRE's (Army Rations) you can spice up a sandwhich or soup. I wouldn't advise full MRE meals for the picky eater. They can get expensive too ($7.50 each)

Grapes are usually easy to get and are a healthy treat. Bananas are a no-no, they get smashed and brown too easily. Carrots and celery with ranch is alway a healthy crunchy snack. Fruit like Snack Pack, Jello or jogurt singles are a great filler upper if you can keep them cold.

Beef jerky or meat sticks with a little mustard are a high protean snack that packs well, just stay away from Slim Jim's, they are the SPAM of beef jerky.

The key to bagging it is variety. Don't send the same thing twice in the same week unless he loves it. Small amounts of a lot of different things give him choices. If he carries a cooler, get blue ice and always send 1 or 2 bottles of good spring water like Dannon or Nestle. Freeze 1 bottle of water and it will keep the lunch cool the first half of the day and still be refreshing when it melts. Just be careful it doesn't blow the top of in the freezer. Don't send Aquafina or Dasani, those are just filtered wash water the soda companies recycle and sell you. People have gotten sick from those. He'll drink less Soda which actually makes you thirstier.

Restaurant leftovers from the night before can be boring. Also, set a goal, if you pack 4 times that week, he can splurge on Friday. We have been trying to save as well (bought new house) and have had to become very creative.

The desert is usually a nice note from the wife that brings a smile to his face.

Happy Lunch!

Besides the salad and sandwich stuff, things that are good cold.

Pizza, spaghetti, chicken wings, steak, chicken nuggets, chili.

If he has a microwave or toaster oven available you have a lot more options.

Sometimes I cook extra chicken breasts or pork tenderloin on the grill and also grill up some vegetables and store this in the fridge so that you have a couple of meals - just put meat and veg in tupperware.

"Big Salads" - have on hand all kinds of lettuce like spring mix or spinache from the bag; olives, feta cheese, tomatoes, etc. and then throw on some chopped leftover meat (from above suggestion)

Potatoes can be microwaved in a plastic baggie in 5 minutes.

Shrimp Cocktails - you can get the bags of cooked shelled and deveined shrimp at the grocery store or do it yourself, its easy. Make cocktail sauce with Ketchup and a bit of horseradish or just buy a jar, that is easy too. I usually go to Mexican Restaurants where you can serve up your own salsa and put them in mini cups that come with lids and they will give a bunch to you or you can offer up a dollar or something (Okay, I bought 40 of them for jello shooters but that's another topic and not for lunch!) You can then put the cocktail sauce in the little cups and put it in with a baggie of shrimp, etc. The little cups work good for dip for veggies or for hummus with pita bread, etc..

Halve an avacado and fill it with tuna salad or chicken salad.

Make rice to go with the meat and veg's, etc or go to chinese deli and get a pint or quart of rice to round out the meat and veg meals.

Frozen Burritos,He can tape them to the exhaust pipe,they'll be done by the time he get's to work!!!Cheap and practical!!!

Hey! Wait a second. Why are you packing him a lunch anyway?

He's sure to be a lot more creative than you. After all, guys think it's perfectly OK to eat a leftover hamburger from a week ago. Expiration date? What's that?

Just open the fridge and tell him to grab something without looking.

Hey! Wait a second. Why are you packing him a lunch anyway?

He's sure to be a lot more creative than you. After all, guys think it's perfectly OK to eat a leftover hamburger from a week ago. Expiration date? What's that?

Just open the fridge and tell him to grab something without looking.

I wish he would do that! But the man has been spoiled on good restaurant meals paid for by his company for about 6 years before I met him :thumbsup: . He also, always checks the expiration dates on EVERYTHING! He's not creative when it comes to lunches for himself :ride: . Hence the reason he usually buys lunch while at work rather than packs it. ...So this is where I must step in and rescue the man from boring packed lunches. Only problem is...I've never been one myself for creative packed lunches. :cry:

Packed Lunch

Turkey, Roast Beef, Mayo and Mustard on a roll with lettuce and chopped tomatoes

bag of chips

and something healthy like yogurt or grapes or fruit

and a bottle of juice sode or water to drink

and maybe a cookie

can't go wrong with that

One thing that makes a packed lunch much more interesting is some variety.

In addition to a sandwich I love cucumbers cut up into sticks, or carrot sticks, celery sticks, oreo cookies, snack pack pudding cups, apple sauce cups, cut up watermellon or cantelope, cheese sticks, pickles etc. Give him something different to go with the sandwiches.

He's not creative when it comes to lunches for himself :thumbsup: . Hence the reason he usually buys lunch while at work rather than packs it. :ride:

I can hear it now, "why don't you pack you lunch"?

"There's nothing good to pack."

"I'll pick something up at the store."

"You never get anything good."

"I'll get whatever you want"

"Give me some ideas"

"I don't know, what do you like?"

"I like going out to lunch."

Well now you have Thumper Talk to the rescue!