Sign in to follow this  

Burned-1 prob fixed, now another

Well i figured out the surging issue. Had wrong jet in Felt like a dumbass. Anyway, After triple checking, 150main, 25pilot, 2nd clip, 2 turns out on fuel screw('05 SM, stock pipe) Now I have a bogging issue at just above idle, steadt throttle, in gear moving. Have tried just about every position with the fuel screw. Can't figure it out. Yes, the vacuum line is hooked up. With the bike at idle, while adjusting the fuel screw in. Should the bike die with it all the way in??? Mine doesn't. Right now its at about 21/4 turns out. Still bogs, but isn't popping and backfiring. I tried taking the side panel off and running it with the filter exposed, but it was the same. Any help would be much appreciated. On a positive note, I'm becoming very good at taking the carb on and off :thumbsup: Scott

the idle shouldt least be noticeably rough.

It is a little rough, but its not real noticable. Not like you can tell exactly where it staightens out.

go back to the stock pilot jet and set the float level at 13mm.

OK, I'll give it a try and report back. How do I set the float level?????

Burned-When I run it with half choke. Seems to run without bog at bottom end. Talked to dynojet tech. He told me to go to 3rd clip on needle. Does this sound right??

Yes I did. Just put slide to 3rd clip-per tech-seems a little better but still bogs off bottom with very little steady throttle?????

Vacuum leak someplace. Carb to engine. Carb top cover. Missing the little O ring under the top cover. Petcock hose split. What do you mean by bog?

it cuts out, hesitates, like its starving for gas. at 1/4 throttle approx., held steady, it will do this.

Guys, I'm about at my whits end. Vacuum line is not pinched, I'm sure little o-ring is on, I tightened the top cap down. I can't figure it out!?!?! To top it off, tried to mow the yard to make my wife happy, the mower choked up and died. Now I get to tear into it :thumbsup: Scott

If I could get my hands on an FCR, I'd throw this thing in the trash!!!

Go to sears buy a new mower. Don't waste motorcycle time on a mower. That will solve half your problem. 6.75 Hp for $219+ tax. Your choice red or black.

At least it's new and motorized. It is governed though. :thumbsup:

Go to sears buy a new mower. Don't waste motorcycle time on a mower. That will solve half your problem. 6.75 Hp for $219+ tax. Your choice red or black.

At least it's new and motorized. It is governed though. :thumbsup:

You've been a great help!

it cuts out, hesitates, like its starving for gas. at 1/4 throttle approx., held steady, it will do this.

have you by passed the side stand switch?

100% sure the needle spacers are correct?

Be sure your needle retainer clip is positioned correctly in the clips and your small spring that seats on the clip is seated correctly on the small washer....mine was not seating correctly and it kept getting bound up because my dumb azz didnt put the small spring fully seated on the retainer clip....my 2 cents

Well guys, after a lot of swearing, the problem is resolved and bike runs like a top. I'm almost too embarrased to tell you what I did, but here goes. After fixing my intial problem-Thanx Burned, I went to do the adjusting that Burned had now suggested. Somewhwere in that time span of having the carb apart the big slide spring fell off my work bench and for the next few times of adjusting, it was not in the carb at all So I was running the bike without it :thumbsup: Go ahead and insert snide remarks here- Only after looking at an old post by Bayoubikebuster, did I realize that I didn't remember putting the spring back in. Anyway, found spring this morning on floor, reinserted it, went back to original-per Burned specs and presto runs great. Thanks for your patience Burned in dealing with an idiot!!! Scott

I know it's been awhile, but what did you end up using for needle clip position?......air screw setting,.......and your elevation?