Sign in to follow this  

400 SM oil capacity

Hi, nube 2006 SM owner. I've had it a couple weeks or so, 95% street riding. I changed the oil & filter myself @ about 75 miles (it was mud!) Took it in to the local dealer I bought it from for the 600 mile "mandatory" (I was told) service to maintain the warranty. It was fine with me, they went over it well. But when the bill was done they charged me for (3) quarts of oil. Now, when I changed it, the manual said 1.9 quarts capacity for oil change with filter. That's what I bought, and it did the job fine. The service guy said they warm it up, open it up when they start and let it drain for the whole 2 hours it takes them to do the service :thumbsup: , and it might take up to 2.3 quarts. I think they may be just padding the bill? Whada ya all think? (besides that I'm a cheapskate for $4 worth of oil :-)

I drained my sm and let it sit for a couple hours and was still able to fill it up with 2 quarts. I think they just made four bucks off ya.

1700 ml or roughly 2 quarts. The Service guy is a twit, and making Sh*t up. I would look for another stealership to go to if you need them for anything else. I took mine it for the 600 mile check @ 1800 miles and never went back. I still buy stuff from them, but I work on my own.

Hi, nube 2006 SM owner. I've had it a couple weeks or so, 95% street riding. I changed the oil & filter myself @ about 75 miles (it was mud!) Took it in to the local dealer I bought it from for the 600 mile "mandatory" (I was told) service to maintain the warranty. It was fine with me, they went over it well. But when the bill was done they charged me for (3) quarts of oil. Now, when I changed it, the manual said 1.9 quarts capacity for oil change with filter. That's what I bought, and it did the job fine. The service guy said they warm it up, open it up when they start and let it drain for the whole 2 hours it takes them to do the service :thumbsup: , and it might take up to 2.3 quarts. I think they may be just padding the bill? Whada ya all think? (besides that I'm a cheapskate for $4 worth of oil :-)

It's called theft, plain and simple......I've refilled more then a few bone dry, DRZ motors just reassembled..... 2 qt every time. That dealer is a rip off x 2. There is no such thing as a "mandatory" service that has to be done by the dealer.... The service must be done at the required intervals,, but there is no way to force you to have it done at the dealer.

Second,, well as said,, your bike did not take 2.3 qt to refill it. :ride:

Last time I checked over filling an engine is not a good thing. Tell the dealer they over filled it with the bill as proof.

i would say that he probably didnt drain the frame and then when he went to fill it realized that he forgot and then drained it. This would account for opening the 3rd quart.

Since the mechanic isnt paid by the quart, I would say that he was probably trying to bill out the parts he removed from stock to cover his error.

In any event, the DRZ takes less than 2 quarts, so let the dealer know and im sure he will refund you

I am in Lincoln Ne. I have a service agreement for three years on my 2005 DRZ400SM and noticed everytime they changed my oil they put down three quarts as well. The Dealers are just ripping people off exspecially when they charge arround $70 for an oil change.

When is is over I will never take my bike in to a dealer because most can't be trusted. Ow and don't use Star City Motorsports here.

What a rip off, either that you are in for possible engine damage from overfilling it. :thumbsup:

they charge arround $70 for an oil change.

Dude, you are getting ripped off! My VW 1.8t doesn't cost that much to change the oil at the dealer and its 4 quarts of Mobil 1.

$70

Does nebraska use a different money system

Definately check the oil level. Who knows maybe the tard put 3 in :thumbsup:

I've heard of a porsche getting 15 quarts one time, the guy kept putting in oil until it regestered on the dip stick :ride:

I've heard of a porsche getting 15 quarts one time, the guy kept putting in oil until it regestered on the dip stick :thumbsup:

Like I have said before.. "this forum + shop manual = no stop at the stealer". I think it is crap that they told you the 600 was manditory. I asked my stealer this and told them I would like to do all the work myself. He said that was fine, wouldn't void my warranty, and thats the last time I saw those guys.

both the owners manual and service manual say 1.7 to 1.9 quarts the 1.9 is at engine rebuild you might ask for manual they use? ps the 600 mile is also bolt check etc i

I've heard of a porsche getting 15 quarts one time, the guy kept putting in oil until it regestered on the dip stick :ride:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

Being a previous air cooled porsche owner that made me laugh out loud. :thumbsup:

If you are going to ride :ride: a dirt bike and don't have lots of money :ride: to throw away or you regularly cross thread a mason jar :thumbsup: you need to buy a shop manual, $35, and work on it yourself. :cry: Don't forget another resource are all the on line OEM parts manuals, they are the exact same one that your dealer will be using.

I don't trust my local Suzuki dealer after I discovered the small "O" ring on the spigot of the oil pump behind the filter was missing for about 1200 miles at least partially letting the oil bypass the filter.They first accused me of loosing it while I was changing the oil.I told them that they were the last ones to change the oil but they were adamant.They said besides:"If it wasn't leaking oil then no harm,what's the problem?"I said that I stopped right in the middle of what I was doing and called them to inform them of what had happened.They told me to put the bike back together less the o-ring and bring it down to the shop and they would do an oil pressure check to assuage my concerns.The spring on the filter cover is adequate to seal the filter to the pump according to the service manager.Nice huh?