Sign in to follow this  

Reuseable Oil Filter for 06

I went to the dealer and asked him about a reuseable oil filter for the 06 YZ250F, and he gave me one. Now, 2 weeks later, I am changing my oil and I notced the oil filter is for the 01-05 models. Is it OK to use this one in the 06, and if not why?

It's fine to use the older mesh type filters from the 01 & 02 bikes, no worries.

Assuming the filter was a stainless steel mesh, it's OK. Odds are it wasn't a Scotts, because most dealers have switched to Ready or CRT since there's more mark up, and the lower price makes them easier to sell. I am not convinced they are the equal of a Scotts, but that's my take.

All YZF oil filters going back to 1998 are interchangeable. And the earlier brass mesh ones listed for engines up to '03 will fit, and can be reused. HOWEVER, they only filter down to 80 microns, less than half as well as a Scotts, and they are relatively easy to accidentally damage during cleaning. I don't recommend them.

I was changing the filter and I know see why it isn't fit for the 06. On the back of the 06 there is a rubber seal built into the filter, not a spring like the previous models. The filter's instructions say to take the spring off of the old filter and put it in with this one, but there is no spring just the rubber. The rubber seal mounts to the filter with two holes that are not in the steel one.

Spring ??what spring,,you may want to look at that again ,,it sounds like the back of the old filter gasket stuck itself to the inside

HOWEVER, they only filter down to 80 microns, less than half as well as a Scotts, and they are relatively easy to accidentally damage during cleaning. I don't recommend them.

Ready Racing filter to 38,,same as Scott ,I have had mine for 2.5 years ,,looks brand new.

The instructions for the stainless steel filter say to use the spring from the previous filter, however the 06 YZ250F doesn't come with a spring it comes with a rubber ring, that mounts into two little holes, and these holes aren't on the stainless filter.

The instructions for the stainless steel filter say to use the spring from the previous filter, however the 06 YZ250F doesn't come with a spring it comes with a rubber ring, that mounts into two little holes, and these holes aren't on the stainless filter.

Thats the OLD gasket ,,forget that,toss it,,the new R.R. filter as a black permantant gasket,,,,make sure to re-use the old o ring gasket from the old housing ,,,it all works,,im using mine from my 04 on my 06 :thumbsup:

Then what do you use as a spacer on the backside of the filter when you put it in there?

You don't need anything on the inside, that's the overflow side, all you need is the rubber gasket that goes against the cover - toss all parts from the old filter away and don't worry anymore, that's how they're designed.

Ready Racing filter to 38,,same as Scott ,I have had mine for 2.5 years ,,looks brand new.

Scotts filters to 35 microns, not 38. They always have. Has Ready even been out with theirs that long?

Ah, the beauty of generic instructions. YZF's have never had a spring behind them (unless there was one in the first 400's) AV is correct on this. In fact, you'll break the cover or ruin the filter if you put anything behind it. The flimsy construction of the disposable OEM type elements doesn't allow the filter to be clamped on just one gasket well enough to seal the end of them, and they aren't made precisely enough to allow them to use only one, either; the one in the back gives them some extra room for "production variances". There is no other reason for a seal in the back end, because nothing there needs sealing.

Scotts filters to 35 microns, not 38. They always have. Has Ready even been out with theirs that long?

:thumbsup: 35,,I have no flipping idea how long they;ve been out. :ride:

HOWEVER, they only filter down to 80 microns, less than half as well as a Scotts, and they are relatively easy to accidentally damage during cleaning. I don't recommend them.

He was talking about the old OEM filters that filter down to 80 microns.

Try again :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help, will install the filter soon. One more question how many microns does the CRT Performance filter, filter down to.

But if there is nothing on the backside, what exactly holds the filter in place, because I wouldn't think that the one bar will hold it on tight enough.

But if there is nothing on the backside, what exactly holds the filter in place, because I wouldn't think that the one bar will hold it on tight enough.
Take a look next time you have the filter out. It fits into a machined pocket in the case cover.

In fact, you'll break the cover or ruin the filter if you put anything behind it. The flimsy construction of the disposable OEM type elements doesn't allow the filter to be clamped on just one gasket well enough to seal the end of them, and they aren't made precisely enough to allow them to use only one, either; the one in the back gives them some extra room for "production variances". There is no other reason for a seal in the back end, because nothing there needs sealing.

Okay I had 2 pull this one out....

Does the gasket go towards the engine? Or the cover?

Okay I had 2 pull this one out....

Does the gasket go towards the engine? Or the cover?

The big hole faces outward toward the cover.