Sign in to follow this  

01 KTM 520 EXC question before purchase

I am looking at a 01 520EXC to be used for desert/ trail ride bike and a bit of not really dual sporting but jumping on roads for a bit to link trails together. As a over 40 rider with bad hands I have had my share of 2 and 4 strokes (300exc and Hberg 400fe) that vibrated so bad my hands go numb after several hours of non stop riding.

Does the 01 525 vibrate bad?

How many hours/miles until need to do a top end or valves?

Does this motor have a noisy top end or valve train? My 00 Berg valve train would kind of whistle.

Any other info you feel would be helpful or beware of on the 01 520 EXC.

Thanks

My main riding partner has a 2002 520. It has been very reliable and it really rips. I've ridden it and it is very stable. He had the suspension done before I ever rode it so I can't comment on the stock set-up.

It does not vibrate bad at all. However, if you're like me, with bad wrists from past injuries, get a pair of Fasstco Flexx bars and vibrations will never again be a problem. I've got them on my smoker. It used to really bother me but it is now smoother than my mild dual sport thumper. I hope this helps.

My main riding partner has a 2002 520. It has been very reliable and it really rips. I've ridden it and it is very stable. He had the suspension done before I ever rode it so I can't comment on the stock set-up.

It does not vibrate bad at all. However, if you're like me, with bad wrists from past injuries, get a pair of Fasstco Flexx bars and vibrations will never again be a problem. I've got them on my smoker. It used to really bother me but it is now smoother than my mild dual sport thumper. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the bike should chug and pull nicely but my big concern was the vibration. I have a set of Fast bars and I love them but I have had bikes that even with fasst bars and rubber mounted triple clamps they would still vibrate badly. My plan was that if box stock it did not vibrate I could put my bars on it and should be in good shape.

Anyone else put a leg over a 01 520 Exc with feedback?

I have a 400 (now 453) '01

I know many guys that are still on their original top ends. They ARE race bikes, so they do need a bit more TLC and more frequent oil changes and valve checks.

Oil changes are messy but not too bad. Valve checks are a pain but 1000% easier than any of the current Japanese bikes (no shim/bucket)

I do NOT consider the 400/520 of that era a bad vibrating bike, mine is smooooth.

All KTM's have noisy top ends (sounds a bit like a typewriter)

Some late '01 and early '02 bikes got a bad batch of cam bearings. Before buying find out if they have been updated. It's pretty simple and cheap to do if not (under $100) you will have to split the cam chain to do it though.

Rod

Have a 2004 525 EXC.

The bike is very stable and lugs really well from the bottom end. The only vibration I have experienced is in the top end of the rev range. I have found that all the power delivery is bottom end/mid range and the bike is a real stump puller ! Oil changes are a bit messy, but the extra oil filtration is worth it. I loved my DRZ 400, but the 525 is something else !!! :thumbsup:

Hey there,

Ive had my 520 for just over a year now, and I'd have to say allround it's an awsome bike!

It does a certain rattles at different rev ranges, but im told it is just Ktm thumpers.

I ride it to work (3k return) dailey and get offroad on the weekends and rips in all areas. And extremlely reliable!

I have to agree with lgst75 in regards to the main grunt being low to midrange, but once you adjust it's incredibly sweet to ride.

Absolutely love my Kato and I'm never bying anything else!