Sign in to follow this  

06 KX450F or 07 KX450F

Hi everyone, this is my first time to this site. I'm going to get my 1st 4 stroke and need some help. I currently have a 2001 KX250. I am deciding whether to get an 06 KX450F leftover or wait and get an 07 KX450F. If I get the 06 I can save $1200 - $1500 from the 07. My biggest concern is the 06 is a 1st year bike and I was wondering if anyone was having issues with this bike, like engine or tranny problems. Any feedback would be appriciated.

welcome to thumper talk kx316 the 06 is a pretty good bike but for 07 they made a host of improvments like five speed trans new rising rate linkage a less rigid aluminum frame and a revised engine tuning for more low to mid

Hold out for the 2007 and you'll get the 5 speed trans, if you read too much on this site you'll change your mind and get the YZ450F

Hold out for the 2007 and you'll get the 5 speed trans, if you read too much on this site you'll change your mind and get the YZ450F

haha too true

Hi everyone, this is my first time to this site. I'm going to get my 1st 4 stroke and need some help. I currently have a 2001 KX250. I am deciding whether to get an 06 KX450F leftover or wait and get an 07 KX450F. If I get the 06 I can save $1200 - $1500 from the 07. My biggest concern is the 06 is a 1st year bike and I was wondering if anyone was having issues with this bike, like engine or tranny problems. Any feedback would be appriciated.

the 07 is worth the 1200-1500......its gonna be much better and more reliable

NEVER buy a 1st year machine. That's why I'm getting the '07 YZF. :thumbsup::ride::cry:

The 07 has anodized hubs to match the triple clamps, as well as DLC coated fork legs. It looks super trick!

Freds4, I did read the reviews in motocross Action mag. They definately didn't like the bike. But it actually won like 3 other shootouts even beating the honda.

Huskyrdr125, what are DLC coated forks? You have a husky i take it from your name. I grew up riding husky's. Had a 76 and 79.

I went through the same thing. In the end, the improvements or so called improvements didn't always suit me so I opted for a good deal on an 06. For the tracks and where I ride, I don't need or want the 5 speed. Since I preferred the 4 speed the other differences were not worth the extra $1500 it would cost me.

After getting the bike and riding it, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Freds4, I did read the reviews in motocross Action mag. They definately didn't like the bike. But it actually won like 3 other shootouts even beating the honda.

Huskyrdr125, what are DLC coated forks? You have a husky i take it from your name. I grew up riding husky's. Had a 76 and 79.

DLC forks look like this. Ooh, ahh, looks like works forks. :ride:

showaWorksForksShockBig.jpg

I have an 02 Cr125 Husky, it's a really nice bike. The older Huskies are really nice too. Especially the ones with the silver tanks. :thumbsup:

I tried asking the same question 06 or 07 but its a difficult question to answer as no one has ridden an 07 yet. Just because Kawaski says they are making such and such changes it does not mean the bike will be $1500 better. Just look at all the people who got suckered into the Honda hype about the engine from the 2003 Honda CR250. On paper it looks bad ass but its not really all that in real life.

I think the biggest decision would be to figure out if you want a 4spd or 5spd as this will probably have more effect on the way you ride than different color hubs or fork legs. I just got a leftover 06 RMZ450 and the 4speed is definitely different and takes some getting used to. I haven't had enuff time on it to decide if I like it more than a 5spd. But I also don't dislike it either.

It would be wise to wait until members have some time on it or some mags have ridden them. Don't listen to just one mag but take all of them into account. You will get a feel for the bike from the similarities in the reviews.

Thanks karterron and mxjosh, I perfer the four speed (too old and lazy to shift). I was worried about buying a 1st year bike. I wanted to wait for 07's so they could work out any bugs. When I heard the 07 was going to be a 5 speed I was disappointed. I don't race or even ride real often so I don't know if the changes will benifit me. Also as fas as suspension, I was planning on sending it off to Pro Circuit anyway to get revalved.

Thanks karterron and mxjosh, I perfer the four speed (too old and lazy to shift). I was worried about buying a 1st year bike. I wanted to wait for 07's so they could work out any bugs. When I heard the 07 was going to be a 5 speed I was disappointed. I don't race or even ride real often so I don't know if the changes will benifit me. Also as fas as suspension, I was planning on sending it off to Pro Circuit anyway to get revalved.
Sounds like you should get the 06 if you can get a good deal, just get a later serial number, last 4 higher than 7000 and you will be fine. Only issues I have heard of with the 450 is the wrist pin and that was changed on the later editions. Something to do with an oiling problem causing some to go bad.

I figured I could throw that $1500 in suspension and an exhaust and have a bike better suited to me and what I want than waiting and buying the 07. I could care less about colored hubs, 5 speed, or DLC coating. But that's just my opinion, I'm not saying it's not worth it for some people. It just wasn't worth it to me.

I have a 01 KX 250 and I went ahaed and bought the 06 KX450f, I love it, it has a lot, I got a great deal because the 07 is coming out, if you need the fifth gear get the 07, I don't because I just change my wheels with sprokets based on how I'm going to ride 48 teeth for the track and 52 teeth for the woods. I do miss my green sticker.

Thanks McCockner. I also have an 01 KX250 that I am selling. I don't really want the 5th gear. I didn't know if the DLC on the forks and the stronger low to mid power was worth the extra money. I wish the 07 was going to stay a 4 speed. Also, I was worried about the dependability of a first year bike.

Look at the "I seen the 2008" post for pics of the coating I took them at Lorettas last week

I was in the same boat as you going from a 2001 YZ250F to 'some' new 450. I went with green. I love the 4 speed. Last 4 on the serial# is 7423, bought in January. Vet C rider mid pack, 7 races so far, bunch of practices. Running Rotella T Synthetic 5W40. Issues so far:

Water pump seal leak

Right fork seal leak just last week.

If you can, check the local racers selling used. Got several over here with low hours going for $4500. Good luck!