Sign in to follow this  

TTR225 shock on TTR125le

A couple weeks ago there was some posts on a TTR225 shock giving some added lift to the 125. This would help raise the bike so I could drop the YZ85 forks. Anyway, I got the shock and it doesn't look like it will work. It forces the swingarm so far down the it pinches the chain and it won't even roll under it's own weight. It needs to be shortend by about 1/4" - 3/4" to be about right, but I don't think it's rebuildable. But I'll show it to my suspension guy anyway. It did feel much better than the stock shock though. It felt like it actually had real damping.

Hi, I had a little of that problem also, but it was easily solved by using a lowering link. It seams hard to do but is actually very easy. I made one when I had the shock on, and when I put the yz85 sock on. Actually, my brother and I just made another one this morning. If you need more info, or pics just let me know. :thumbsup:

Oh, and after I put it on, It lowered it 1 1/2". It worked perfectly. I measured before, and after, and now it is leveled, without the chain being pinched.

Ok, this isn't exactly what I used, but I just threw it together to give you the idea. The stock linkage piece is the last picture. If you make something like that out of metal, and tubing or washers, that has the bolt holes farther apart, it actually will lower the rear, and vise versa, if you shorten the hole width, the rear will raise.

I can give you the exact measurements tomorow on how far to space the holes apart. It is really hard to explain, but I hope this helps. Look at the linkage of mine on the bike, and go from there. I could probably even make you one like it. Thanks

Please let me know what you think. It isn't very hard to make, and works great. I actually got the idea from some guy who wanted to lower his ttr for his daughter. He also made some.

Yeah, if you could give me your measurements that would be great.

So is yours the ttr125le (the bigwheel). Mine is the small wheel, so things might be a little different. The difference is .5 CM, not inches between the center to center of the stock piece, and center to center of the lowering piece. Oh, and do you have a little hand grinder at your house. Hope this helps, I will post some more pics also!

Here are the pictures:

100_0600.jpg

TTRLinkagedifferences.jpg

And this is where the hand grinder might come in. It all depends on your hole spacing, but you might end up grinding a very thin layer off of your linkage right here:

100_0602.jpg

That spot will actually touch the swingarm if you want to lower it anything more than 1". So I just scimmed a layer off right there, and it worked perfectly. :thumbsup::ride:

Yeah, I was wondering if it would hit the swingarm. Thanks, you've been a ton of help. :ride::cry::thumbsup:

No problem! Are you going to make one? If there is anything else you need to know please let me know. Oh, do you still have the stock shifter on your ttr? I have found yet another cheap mod for the ttr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, there are like 100 views, and hardly any replies. Come on, if any body thinks this is cool, or want to try the same thing please let me know. I can help you out. :thumbsup:

Oh, do you still have the stock shifter on your ttr? I have found yet another cheap mod for the ttr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the crf 150/230 fits its like 1/2" longer..must be the same bend i was lookin in a catalog and the +1" ttr shifter and +1/2" were the same pt number :thumbsup:

Has anyone researched this further?

Yes, we are revalving the stock shocks and they work 50 times better than stock. We're even taking the little wheel shock, adding a resevior and revalving those. They work a million times better too. However, we are working on a secret shock to run with yz80 forks. I'll let you know on those in a few weeks.