Sign in to follow this  

A Great Day For EBAY!!!!

I just purchased an '89 CR250 front end with forks, triple tree, and complete brake system for $175! I got an axle from another auction that is currently being shipped, then I found a wheel that I am bidding on. Soon I will have inverted forks and a disc brake on my 200, for less than $250! I think I will probably send my forks into Racetech, or a similar company for revalving, and about a 1" shortening, so there is another $100 maybe...

This will be my second fork swap, so I will have stock '01 XR200 forks, and long travel XR200 forks leftover. I have a friend that may want the long travel forks, so I will offer them to him first, then if he doesn't want them, they are up for sale.

Also, I found another Ebay gem, that for the next 1 day and 14 hours, I cannot mention what it is, for fear of bidding competition. It is going to be great though!

I have decided that this winter I will also be purchasing a Powroll 218 stroker kit.

Let me just say that it won't be long until I have the ultimate stock framed XR200!

Were CR250 forks USD in 89? I didn't think that happened until the mid 90's.

Yep, it was the very first year. Half of the '89s are conventional and the other half are USD. Pre '90 forks bolt up to the XR200, so the '89 USD forks before they changed the bearings in '90 is the only way to go to get USD forks on a 200.

Update: All of the parts I need are currently being shipped. Here's the list:

'89 CR250 forks, triple clamps, steering stem, bearings, etc...

'89 CR250 disc, caliper, brake line, master cylinder, lever, and perch

...$200 shipped for the above...

'89 CR250 front axle

...$33 shipped...

'89 CR250 front wheel

...$61 shipped...

'87 XR250 18" rear wheel and axle

...$56 shipped...

So that's a total of $350 with shipping for inverted forks, disc brakes, and an 18" rear wheel for my XR200. It's not the best deal I have ever made on Ebay, because shipping for all of this stuff is a bitch, but I think that's pretty good.

Also, I want to remind everybody that my long travel forks *will* be for sale as soon as the new setup is on, and I feel that it suits me. That is if my friend doesn't want them...

I will get some pics up as soon as I can. Hopefully I will have everything bolted up by the 11th (my b-day).

I just got a few great items off e-bay for 82 xr200r also. I got an airbox,seat and skidplate for $33 shipped, and for $21 shipped I got the intake I was looking for. I was wondering how to change the front forks over to disk and now I knwo how. I think that will be a nice project for me down the road. I am glad you posted this up, so now I know what parts to get.

Yeah, no problem. I will let you know how the install goes... The parts get kind of expensive though...

for me I plan on riding this bike fo ra long time to come. I can buy the parts over time and slowly get it done. I will be looking forwrd to watching your install and follow along.

Have fun spending more money to get those craptastic forks to not beat the crap out of you. :thumbsup:

Have fun spending more money to get those craptastic forks to not beat the crap out of you. :thumbsup:

Better than stock 200 suspension for sure....

I have a little more money to give Racetech a call anyway...

By better if you mean stiffer...then yea I guess so. The stock 200 forks will be much more plush. Just get ready to have your pocketbook wide open when you mail them to Race Tech.

The first USD forks Honda used had a problem with oil flow choking in the piston orifices which made the forks super harsh. They are the reason the Gold Valve was invented. By 92 or so the factory had figured it out too.

The last of the conventional CR forks were tons better than the first USD forks. They sell for a lot less money too. I picked up a whole 87 front end for less than $100.

I kind of went a different route, I bought a 91 CR250, with a bad motor, pulled the whole front assembly off. Then sold the rest on eBay.

I paid $200 for the bike, kept the complete front end, gave the rear wheel to a friend (in exchange for doing the macine work to fit the XR stem into the CR clamps), then sold the rest on eBay.

Got back the $200, and put another $65 in my pocket when all was said and done. It gets a little tedious parting out a bike, but if your a cheap skate like me, its worth it.

Haha awesome.... I thought you were going to say that you put the motor in the CR chassis, which is what I would have done...but making $65 in the end is great!

Yes, I have looked into the problems, and I know what to do...

Good luck, at least you did your homework.

Haha awesome.... I thought you were going to say that you put the motor in the CR chassis, which is what I would have done...but making $65 in the end is great!

I'm looking for a CR chassis to do that, but they're hard to come by.