Sign in to follow this  

05 DRZ400 v. 93 XL650R--which to buy tomorrow?

Selling my Ducati Monster tomorrow morning and intend to get a dual-sport. Riding maybe 70% road (fun roads, 40-60 mph twisties, minimal hwy, about 50 miles per ride) and have the chance to buy like-new DRZ400 (05) for about $4400 or '93 XL650R with 4600 miles for about $2300. Any thoughts on which might be better for my Southeastern PA (Philly suburbs) riding?

I'm thinking DRZ would be better in dirt rides, but that extra 250cc would come in handy on road rides....

Thanks much-John :thumbsup:

i say drz cause its newer and will most likly have less problems

Selling my Ducati Monster tomorrow morning and intend to get a dual-sport. Riding maybe 70% road (fun roads, 40-60 mph twisties, minimal hwy, about 50 miles per ride) and have the chance to buy like-new DRZ400 (05) for about $4400 or '93 XL650R with 4600 miles for about $2300. Any thoughts on which might be better for my Southeastern PA (Philly suburbs) riding?

I'm thinking DRZ would be better in dirt rides, but that extra 250cc would come in handy on road rides....

Thanks much-John :thumbsup:

unless the honda has been modified the extra 250 cc means nothing....the honda is an ancient air cooled motor (though very very reliable) while hte drz is lighter and liquid cooled so its fewer cc's pack more of a punch.....

Go DRZ, the XL model is even lower powered than its XR cousin. Besides you get "modern" suspension and the ability to take that DRZ up to TT specs as found in the Dirt Rider build off!

Check the DRZ forum to get an idea of the huge aftermarket that revolves around the DRZ. Having all of that cool stuff readily available to you makes the DRZ even more attractive. I just got my SM and I'm pretty impressed with it, although it's terribly restricted stock, it's got alot of potential.

Doug