Sign in to follow this  

xr400 dry break

Just bought an XR400 (1996) with a stock tank. I plan on desert racing it, and would like to put on an ims 4.0 w/dry break system. My question is: can I still get fuel into the bike when play riding, without the dry break probe? I don't want to always be switching tanks. Maybe I should just break down and buy the probe/tank also? So expensive though!! Can I just replace the receiver somehow? Please help my ignorance!!

:thumbsup:

i believe the dry brake is spring loaded,and if you can somehow push it down and dump the fuel at the same time ....hmmm anyone else have any ideas?

Chris, You have a couple options...

- Find another OEM tank and put a drybrake into it. Yes it's possible, I can explain later. With the 4.0G ank and racing you'll be carrying quite a bit of extra (un-used) fuel (weight). In most cases you'd be better off with the smaller tank.

- Get the IMS 4.0G that is drybrake ready. When you want a DB in it, no problem. When you want to trailride with it put a screw cap adapter on it. Acerbis and GPR both make adapters - they're a billet aluminum female part basically.

Chris, You have a couple options...

- Find another OEM tank and put a drybrake into it. Yes it's possible, I can explain later. With the 4.0G ank and racing you'll be carrying quite a bit of extra (un-used) fuel (weight). In most cases you'd be better off with the smaller tank.

- Get the IMS 4.0G that is drybrake ready. When you want a DB in it, no problem. When you want to trailride with it put a screw cap adapter on it. Acerbis and GPR both make adapters - they're a billet aluminum female part basically.

Cool, just the info I needed. I suppose I need to figure out what kind of mpg's I get under race conditions and go from there before buying a massive humpback fuel bladder!

Long as I can go 50-60 miles (at race pace), doesn't honda have pits right around that range? Maybe I'll do the first option with the OEM tank. BTW, I sent some pics to your email, but not sure if they went through or not. My computer and I have been arguing lately and it seems to be winning. :thumbsup: