Sign in to follow this  

Las Padres Ortega Trail Hwy 33

Anyone tried the Ortega trail off Hyw 33 latley? It's a legal OHV trail just above Ojai. Last time I tried it the trail was so overgrown that it just wasn't worth it.

There was a push a couple of years ago to work with the Forest Service to clear it out. Seemed like at the time the Forest Service welcomed the help. But it never got done. If it was clear it would make for a really good Dual Sport run up to Ballinger Cyn and back. Looking to see if anyone is interested in possibly in working with the Forest Service to try to get the trail rideable again. I am sure it will take a lot of work but may be worth it in the end.

Anyone tried the Ortega trail off Hyw 33 latley? It's a legal OHV trail just above Ojai

Are you talking about Tinta Trail that runs along the Dick Smith Wilderness from right off 33 near Ballinger to a campground, then dirt road leading to Lockwood Valley Road?

If so I rode it last year and I love the trail. It was included in a Dual Sport put on a few years ago. I think the dual-sport was called "Trails of the Tejon". Too bad the Wilderness rendered this trail an orphan that's no longer well-traveled. It's really fun single track.

Are you talking about Tinta Trail that runs along the Dick Smith Wilderness from right off 33 near Ballinger to a campground, then dirt road leading to Lockwood Valley Road?

If so I rode it last year and I love the trail. It was included in a Dual Sport put on a few years ago. I think the dual-sport was called "Trails of the Tejon". Too bad the Wilderness rendered this trail an orphan that's no longer well-traveled. It's really fun single track.

No the Ortega trail is a totally different trail from the Tinta Trail.

I know the trail your typing about. And yes the Tinta Trail is usually part of the VCMC Dual Sport ride. Great ride by the way. Think about being able to ride from the ocean at Ventura all the way up to the Ortega trail then on to the Tinta Trail then on to Ballinger Cyn. and back. Or bail out via Hwy 33.

Have not been out that way for many years (like 30) but we used to ride out of Ballinger Canyon to get to Ojai through Apache Canyon(?) Is this still doable? All off highway. I'm curious about it because I'll be trying to ride that area next month.

I use to ride ortega a lot. The last time was a year and a half ago, and it wasn't only overgrown but compleately washed out. Some sections had 6 foot wash out on a sidehill with a 100 foot drop on the side. Almost impassable but we made the 8 miles in 4 hours :thumbsup: .I love that area it use to be a short but great ride. Hopefully someone has done some work on it.

Have not been out that way for many years (like 30) but we used to ride out of Ballinger Canyon to get to Ojai through Apache Canyon(?) Is this still doable? All off highway. I'm curious about it because I'll be trying to ride that area next month.
Use to be a really nice ride but has been closed for some time. We use to camp at apache and ride into ballinger and back. They have really closed most of that area off. Ballinger is very limited compared to what it was 10 years ago. :thumbsup: