Sign in to follow this  

My DRZ rack (with Givi trunk)

TT member TomSlick made a great rack for my DRZ:

http://perljam.net/motorcycle/drz/tom-slick-rack/

It holds a Givi plate and topcase. Before I mounted the plate, I decided to stress-test the rack with an errand.

pict2348.jpg

Time to go riding (at Naches) tomorrow. It's nice to be more self-sufficient- for day rides, I can more easily carry cold-weather gear, my CyclePump, etc. For overnight trips, I can fit enough camping gear in a trunk to set up my own camp.

-ted

Good to see you mount the case as far forward as possible. You want to keep the weight ahead of the rear axle if possible.

Nice looking set up :thumbsup:

Good to see you mount the case as far forward as possible. You want to keep the weight ahead of the rear axle if possible.

Right. On my KLR I used to have it mounted (basically) on the passenger part of the seat. Experimentation with the KLR on a local motocross track showed it wasn't enough.

Thanks!

-ted

How much did you pay for that setup and where from? Does the Givi come with the mounting plate and then you just need a rack to bolt it to?

How much did you pay for that setup and where from?

It's from TomSwift, a TT member:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/member.php?userid=17998

I won't say how much I paid for it- Tom can post prices if he wants. I'll just say it was cheaper than the Pro Moto Billet setup, which is a PITA to deal with (lining up the seat bolts is always fun).

Does the Givi come with the mounting plate and then you just need a rack to bolt it to?

Yep, Givi is a system, the mounting plate bolts right on to the rack. I sent it to Tom while he was building my rack.

I have six Givi cases to choose from in the garage; the one in the pictures is the E36, one of the smallest/cheapest sizes. It's durable (I've dropped 500+lb bikes on them), and you can get replacement parts easily.

The mounting plate ($50) is for a KLR650- it was the cheapest way to buy it, and I wanted a cast plate instead of a plastic one; the plastic plate needs more support and therefore is only really suitable for big touring bikes.

Cheers,

-ted

Are you planning on selling any of your cases? I might be interested.